• Photographers vs. Police: We meet again...

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by waldwickrailfan

i get stopped by police when the engineers see a "suspisous person" in Waldwick. i now talk to the engineers and they havent called the police on me...yet! some of them are very mean and threten to call them. they do not. the police never even come anymore becuase they are used to me.
  by sullivan1985

waldwickrailfan wrote:i get stopped by police when the engineers see a "suspisous person" in Waldwick. i now talk to the engineers and they havent called the police on me...yet! some of them are very mean and threten to call them. they do not. the police never even come anymore becuase they are used to me.
Most engineers aren't "mean" to random strangers unless they are given a reason to be.
  by 3rdrail

sullivan1985 wrote:Most engineers aren't "mean" to random strangers unless they are given a reason to be.
The same goes for cops.
  by RailBus63

My son and I had no issues photographing trains on Friday at Hoboken and Secaucus Junction and at several of the HBLR stations. I know for a fact that NJT police at the two big stations saw us in action.
  by break the seals

Fantastic thread so far chaps..
  by HBLR

The cops I don't like are the ones who think they are right and are wrong. Otherwise when I'm out watching trains do things on my off days I might bump into a police officer and usually end up having a very pleasant conversation with them. I think usually they tend to be unpleasant when they are doing something that is a pain in the ass to them. For example, i was at the station by BJ's in JC and some stupid with a car tried to beat the train as it was going towards hoboken pulling out of the station. Cops, EMS fire crew, a full circus. This one female officer i'm usually having good interactions with was quite sharp with me after i was trying to take photos of the incident. The LRV doors were all open on both sides on both vehicles and the train operator and some light rail ops staff were hanging around giving info trying to figure it all out. Was an interesting scene, tried to get some photos, was told by her that photography on NJT property was illegal. I have an email from NJT stating their policy, i did not have the printout with me at the time, but i said, you really should go to hoboken terminal and ask the station master, because it's not illegal. She said i had to not take any photos or leave the premises. I can't stand when good intentioned people mess up like that, kind of ruins my whole day.
  by airman00

When a police officer says no pictures, it's best to listen to them, even if they're just having a bad day. No matter what your rights are, it's better to listen to them or perhaps one might end up in the back of their car.
  by Passaic River Rat

airman00 wrote:When a police officer says no pictures, it's best to listen to them, even if they're just having a bad day. No matter what your rights are, it's better to listen to them or perhaps one might end up in the back of their car.
Better in the back of a car than in a casket from Afghanistan. Soldiers are not the only ones that can make sacrifices in the name of liberty.
  by sullivan1985

HBLR wrote:but i said, you really should go to hoboken terminal and ask the station master, because it's not illegal.
The station master does not instruct the police about anything.
airman00 wrote:When a police officer says no pictures, it's best to listen to them, even if they're just having a bad day. No matter what your rights are, it's better to listen to them or perhaps one might end up in the back of their car.
A few years ago I was taking pictures at the Rutherford Station of a friend of mine. We where on the extended platform on the Track 1 side. An East Rutherford police officer pulled up and asked me what I was up to. I told him I was simply taking a few head shots of my friend. I showed him my employee ID and he asked me "Are you on duty". I said no, but that I was on public access property. I was also beginning to add that there are no photography bans in place on NJ Transit and blah blah blah... but that sentence was interrupted by "Well you're not on duty now, so get off the platform or I'm walking you off in cuffs!"

At that point I could have made the decision that be taken in for questioning by an officer obviously high on a power trip or obey his commands and leave. I could have been detained and found guilty of nothing and maybe set an example. However I also had prior commitments to my family later that night and didn't want to ruin everything by getting arrested and all that fun stuff. I will say though that every time I look back on that incident, I regret not just biting the bullet and going away in handcuffs. It would have been awesome to figure out what he would have tried charging me with, and double awesome when they let me go for not doing anything. I was working for a local paper at the time and would have definitely taken the story to them. It wouldn't have received world wide recognition, but I could have said I did something.

I guess I'll just have to use my camera a little more. :-P

In other words, don't be afraid to confront an officer if you are clearly in the right. Don't be a jerk about it, but don't let yourself get rolled over. They are police, not the SS.

I've had some pretty interesting run ins with police over the last few years. Kaback9 can probably recall a good one from Elmwood Park on Midland Avenue during an SU-99 chase. It's all a matter of how you present yourself.
  by Jtgshu

I can think of a SU99 chase when you dealt with the police "head on" Sully :) hahhahaa
  by Jeff Smith

3rdrail wrote:
Passaic River Rat wrote:
ryanov wrote: Well, then there's something wrong with you. Please stop voting so that it doesn't spread.
While I disagree with him as well, claiming fault with the person doesn't mean you are trumping his assertion.
I agree with you, Passaic. I used to tell my son the same thing, somewhat modified for his understanding and use...
when he was 12, i.e. "the moment that someone starts calling names is the moment that they've lost the argument", supplemented by "a person who has to continually resort to name calling and/or obscenity is a dope". My son (twire) understood those principles at age 12, and I'm proud to say has developed into a sophisticated man and debater since.
I forget that once in a while; thanks for reminding me! Some of the more recent whiners, er, challenging members, have distracted me. Thanks Paul.
  by 3rdrail

Hahaha!!! Don't get me wrong, Jeff. Name calling sometimes needs to be done - particularly when the "name fits the bill." I would go so far as in your case to say that [RE: this thread], I didn't have you in mind as being the offending subject, and [In another thread], I found your references to be right on, frankly ! (The "Lock" was the icing on the cake, and as we say in Boston, was pissah !) I should probably amend my rule by adding, "If the recipient is an a-hole, disregard", at the end. Keep up the good work, Jeff ! :-)
  by Kaback9

Jtgshu wrote:I can think of a SU99 chase when you dealt with the police "head on" Sully :) hahhahaa
I'm just going to leave a lulz at this. :)
  by HBLR

sullivan1985 wrote:The station master does not instruct the police about anything.
Never said they did.

However, who else better to get the facts from out in the field 2 stops from the suggested location? I've talked to the folks in the CS office many, many times about a number of things. They are always polite and if i do take photos i usually let them know unless I'm tight on time.

As far as civil rights, i agree, you need to let whomever know that photography is technically legal everywhere aside from restricted access locations. The legitimacy of other "photo bans" is weak at best. That being said, i'd rather listen to the PATH photo rues than go to jail or whatever. NJT on the other hand, there's too much misinformation among the rank and file, typically fare collectors. Bus & train operators, and most train operational crew (engineer conductor rear brake) i've never had any real issues with ever. I know some transportation industry people, be it a director or a station platform cleaner might be concerned about terrorism, but i can tell you now, terrorists don't want to take photos of trains, they have other plans which don't include sticking out like a sore thumb with a camera.
  by Passaic River Rat

sullivan1985 wrote:...

A few years ago I was taking pictures at the Rutherford Station of a friend of mine. We where on the extended platform on the Track 1 side. An East Rutherford police officer pulled up and asked me what I was up to. I told him I was simply taking a few head shots of my friend. I showed him my employee ID and he asked me "Are you on duty". I said no, but that I was on public access property. I was also beginning to add that there are no photography bans in place on NJ Transit and blah blah blah... but that sentence was interrupted by "Well you're not on duty now, so get off the platform or I'm walking you off in cuffs!"

At that point I could have made the decision that be taken in for questioning by an officer obviously high on a power trip or obey his commands and leave. I could have been detained and found guilty of nothing and maybe set an example. However I also had prior commitments to my family later that night and didn't want to ruin everything by getting arrested and all that fun stuff. I will say though that every time I look back on that incident, I regret not just biting the bullet and going away in handcuffs. It would have been awesome to figure out what he would have tried charging me with, and double awesome when they let me go for not doing anything. I was working for a local paper at the time and would have definitely taken the story to them. It wouldn't have received world wide recognition, but I could have said I did something.

I guess I'll just have to use my camera a little more. :-P

In other words, don't be afraid to confront an officer if you are clearly in the right. Don't be a jerk about it, but don't let yourself get rolled over. They are police, not the SS.

I've had some pretty interesting run ins with police over the last few years. Kaback9 can probably recall a good one from Elmwood Park on Midland Avenue during an SU-99 chase. It's all a matter of how you present yourself.
Sully, this could have been your transit lottery award:
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/0 ... iling.html
From now on, just dress like a homeless person while railfanning. You'll make millions.

Confronting the officer is not a good idea. Asking him to put his money where his mouth is and charge you is the way to go. This way he can be confronted in court. Obviously, this pays for Mr. Kreimer.