• Penn Station Crash (LIRR/Amtrak, 4/19/04)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by neel

Hope all are well and no one was hurt bad... Saw a lot of paramedic, police, FD and chopper activity outside the station. The LIRR threads are not carrying this so thought of posting here.
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pi ... c&refer=us
They say 11 people were injured.
http://1010wins.com/topstories/winstops ... 74514.html
The NJT incoming were unaffected.
(maybe this is a small test to see after effects of Penn Station closure for the RNC convention?)

by JLo

My wife told me she saw several people removed on stretchers, but nothing appeared too serious. She found the overwhelming FD response a little disconcerting as it brought back some bad memories.

by rvrrhs

Ouch. I sure was wondering what all the police & fire vehicles were doing around Pennsylvania Plaza when I arrived on NJT around 10am. I guess since the NJT schedule was unaffected, the crew didn't make an announcement.

by Jtgshu

Thats odd - I wonder what happened - if it was a sideswipe and both trains were on seperate tracks and no one did anything wrong and they just collided (it happens) or if someone went through a stop signal or wasn't paying attention and got too close the train ahead of them in the tunnel and didn't stop in time. (when coming through the tunnels, if things are slow/backed up - 99 pecent of the time - trains sit right behind each other.) The last signal encountered would be a restricting, allowng you to pull up right to the hind end of the train right ahead, but obviously not hitting them

by rvrrhs

Per the 1010WINS.com story: "A Long Island Rail Road train was struck from behind by an empty Amtrak train as they approached Penn Station early Monday."

BTW, Jtgshu, you skipped NorthElizabeth in your signature. ;)

by Jtgshu

But the AP story I just read said it occured at a switch..........the way the media report things, it was probably a head on anyway!!!!

Thats because I don't like to stop at N. Eliz and Avenel!!!! :D

by Irish Chieftain

Neel wrote:The LIRR threads are not carrying this
They are now. As already noted, NJT was not affected; but still and all, many NJT riders connect with LIRR, so this is a good heads-up.

by krapug

Irish Chieftain wrote:
Neel wrote:The LIRR threads are not carrying this
They are now. As already noted, NJT was not affected; but still and all, many NJT riders connect with LIRR, so this is a good heads-up.
A very good point that is RARELY ever brought up, just because a mishap occurs (that causes signifigant delays) on one system and not the other is no reason for the "other" system not to announce it to passengers.

by Jishnu

But the AP story I just read said it occured at a switch
According to a report that I saw on WNBC, an Amtrak spokesperson said that it was a rear end collision at the JO interlocking.

by AKelley728

I arrived in NYP about 8:42 this morning on track 12. When I got to the intermediate level there were police/paramedics that were taking someone out on stretcher out of track 13 or 14. The person on the stretcher had a neck collar and what looked like duct tape around one of their legs.

by JLo

The person on the stretcher had a neck collar and what looked like duct tape around one of their legs.
EMT's and other first responders use duct tape to immobilize accident victims. It works better than the cumbersome straps and can be cut away easily.

by Nasadowsk

<i>EMT's and other first responders use duct tape to immobilize accident victims. It works better than the cumbersome straps and can be cut away easily.</i>

And, on the older LIRR trains, can be easily found attached to seats, walls, the cab ends, ceiling panels, acces paneles, and other nearby objects ;)

by Mark Schweber

I got to NYP yesterday morning saw lots of police activity and, given all that is going on, got worried and exited the station as quickly as possible.

From several people who come in on different LIRR trains I heard that announcements were made on the train, even if the train was not really delayed much, to expect police activity in Penn Station and to not worry becasue t resulted from an earlier accident and not a security concern.

It would have been nice if NJT train personnel were informed and made similar announcements. I am sure it would have preveneted a lot of people from having a lot of anxiety. But, I guess that would require too much regional cooperation between different agencies.