• Pedestrian Tunnel in Alexandria between VRE & King St Metro

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Arlington

Back in January 2012, the story was that the FHWA had fully funded a project to build a full, modern (elevator equipped) tunnel serving the Alexandria VRE platforms and the King St Station lobby. I'm posting here because VRE was said to be the lead agency (between VDOT, VRE, WMATA and VDRPT, not to mention CSX).

SInce then? <crickets>

Where is this project stuck now?

Background links:
http://alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/l ... ements.pdf
http://alexandriava.gov/localmotion/inf ... x?id=29706
  by Arlington

Sand Box John wrote:There is nothing in any of the document at the King Street Metro Station Access Improvements Study link page that identifies any access improvement to be made at the Alexandria Amtrak / VRE station.
Indeed. But it does show that there's a lot of talk and study about "access improvements" at King Street. You'd kind of hope that either the two projects branched off the same tree or that one day they'd converge and get done at the same time.

I'm expecting the answer has to do with phasing and budget. Already the non-tunnel King Street stuff has been broken into multiple phases and I thought some of the delay/silence on the tunnel might be related to how they are (or aren't) synching them up.
  by Sand Box John

This study and the option presented are about access improvement for bus, car (taxi and private) bike, and pedestrian to the metrorail station. The area where the improvement are to be made is on the east side of the station.

I did find a couple of references to the elevators and tunnel proposal by doing a search at the vre.org. They sounded like wish list ideas as apposed to funded projects.
  by therock

This project is nearly underway - the $7.4M was appropriated through FHWA/ADA monies, and will involve:

1) A new tunnel with ADA ramp directly between the island VRE platform and the Metro station
2) Reconstruction of the VRE platform (this was really primarily a maintenance issue, in my opinion) and includes the possible use of the platform by VRE/Amtrak on #1 track there (actual operations still to be worked out with CSX since Crystal City has only the platform off #3 track - new platform at CC or crossover likely needed).

The capacity limitation between WAS and ALX is almost reached - a fourth track between RO and AF is likely needed for CSX to approve any more trains here. When SEHSR come around (and is currently being studied by DC as to options for Long Bridge/Potomac River bridge crossing), there really should be a new bridge constructed just for the passenger trains (Amtrak/VRE/SEHSR) making for 4 tracks from CP-Virginia to AF; finding new ways to thread their way under L'Enfant Plaza will be interesting.
  by Sand Box John

"therock"
finding new ways to thread their way under L'Enfant Plaza will be interesting.

Provided the developer that built the deck over the right of way west on 12th Street didn't encroach in to the original PRR 4 track easement it should be no problem adding 3rd and 4th track there. The problem is the L'Enfant Plaza VRE station platform is built within that same 4 track easement.
  by therock

Sand Box John wrote:"therock"
finding new ways to thread their way under L'Enfant Plaza will be interesting.

Provided the developer that built the deck over the right of way west on 12th Street didn't encroach in to the original PRR 4 track easement it should be no problem adding 3rd and 4th track there. The problem is the L'Enfant Plaza VRE station platform is built within that same 4 track easement.

Definitely correct on the station location - shouldn't be too bad to set back the camopy & platform.

The promenade is a different story; With modern clearance requirements such as 15' track centers, a third track would be difficult and a fourth track impossible (I did clearance measurements when the "new" 3rd track was built).
  by strench707

The promenade currently has three tracks under it and does have room for a fourth. That area up to the station passes under numerous overpasses that are apparently too low for double stack containers. While they do work on the Virginia Avenue Tunnel they will also lower the tracks here, making the steep hill into L'Enfant even steeper. That's all part of the CSX National Gateway project.

Davis
  by therock

strench707 wrote:The promenade currently has three tracks under it and does have room for a fourth. That area up to the station passes under numerous overpasses that are apparently too low for double stack containers. While they do work on the Virginia Avenue Tunnel they will also lower the tracks here, making the steep hill into L'Enfant even steeper. That's all part of the CSX National Gateway project.

Davis

The National Gateway clearance project will increase the vertical clearance, but the horizontal clearance issue remains (see my above post).

We put the clearance point for the new track at CP L'Enfant as far into the plaza as possible to maximize the slot length, but it cannot go any further. I reviewed my notes from when I worked on this & the video from the geometry car - it shows the same thing that I posted earlier; modern clearance standards (wider track centers & Plate F cars) will not allow it to go further without significant engineering work. We looked at realigning #3 through the north portal, but it will not clear in its current state. It was disappointing, but that's the major difference between the PRR days and modern standards.

In September, you did post an idea that was discussed early on - that is, constructing the storage track off #2 toward the Jersey yard at the north end. I personally still think this is a good idea, but CSX will not consider it. They want to retain the capacity over there, so it's a not an option.

Eventually, I think Southeast High Speed Rail will be the ultimate catalyst for getting a permanent solution here.
  by strench707

If the North Portal under the Plaza was undercut would it clear or is it a horizontal clearance issue?

Also, is there any "dream solution" to reconfiguring this whole area to accommodate all types of cars and clearances? This seems to pose a major bottleneck and restriction on CSX's busy North-South East Coast corridor.

Thanks,

Davis
  by Arlington

Yaay! Design images on VRE's website:
VRE's project page has been updated with drawings and a schedule for the Alexandria pedestrian tunnel project of:
Begin Design 2013; Complete Design 2014; Complete Construction 2015
http://www.vre.org/about/projects/cip/A ... unnel.html
  by Station Aficionado

Sadly, Mr. Arlington, the key detail is this "Current Status: Feasability Study". Thus, the dates are only provisional. While it's not horribly long to walk around to the street to go from one station to another, it is a bit of a pain, especially with luggage. Effectively unifying Alexandria Un. Sta. and King St. Metro into one facility would be a really nice enhancement.
  by Arlington

Station Aficionado wrote:Sadly, Mr. Arlington, the key detail is this "Current Status: Feasability Study". Thus, the dates are only provisional. While it's not horribly long to walk around to the street to go from one station to another, it is a bit of a pain, especially with luggage. Effectively unifying Alexandria Un. Sta. and King St. Metro into one facility would be a really nice enhancement.
This is the kind of thing that VA DRPT should be spending its money on, since it benefits Metro, VRE, and Amtrak Virginia about equally (so none can prioritize it above other projects), but overall it will be a huge win for Virginia.

VRE only schedules 22 minutes from ALX to WAS, but considering that Amtrak Virginia schedules as much as 35 minutes (and fewer stops!) it has to be that the right answer for Virginia is to really move everyone onto the Yellow Line, because it works so much better for those coming from the far reaches of the state on Amtrak (NFK, NPN, LYH, CVS) who are trying to get to federal offices downtown.

With Washington Union Station's facilities (incl Metro) groaning under heavy passenger volumes, it really behooves Virginia as a whole to set up Alexandria as a "lite" version, and this underpass will make a huge difference, not only to those with luggage, but also to VRE commuters, and Amtrak "super-commuters" in rainy/slushy/icy conditions.

This is also an example of how Amtrak Virginia's success (in tapping traffic, money, and political support in the Tidewater and along the Blue Ridge) is making VRE look bad as a vehicle for promoting rail use. First we have VRE nearly squandering the Arkendale 3rd track, now we have them doing nothing on this project. {EDIT} I'm not saying there's anything "blameworthy" about where VRE is--its just that the projects started in their portfolio, but all the "juice" for getting things done has started flowing toward Amtrak Virginia and VADRPT (and their unexpected successes), and so maybe for everyone's good the projects need to be taken away and given to others. {/EDIT}
  by Jersey_Mike

Could some VRE trains terminating at an expanded Alexandria station be a solution? With better Metro connections and perhaps some sort of transfer included fare it might be a better option than nothing.