Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by byte

FYI, two 1-50 series cars at the East Troy electric railway museum were/are in the process of being scrapped - I believe #'s 28 and 35. One of them had significant electrical damage resulting from 600v DC somehow getting directly into the batteries, not sure why the other was also disposed of. A small group of people from IRM (not sure if there were others from Fox River, there might have been) went to East Troy today to part out the two cars and get what valuable parts they could before the hulks get scrapped. East Troy owned three 1-50 series cars: 28, 35, and 45. It's my understanding that that the 45 has been sold and moved to the Fox River trolley museum, and the other two are being scrapped.

Also, IRM's single units 22 and 41 will be used again for this winter's "Happy Holiday Railway" event (with custom-made rollsigns from yours truly). These two cars are scheduled to receive some barn space sometime soon (they've been stored outdoors at the museum's "L" station for several years, when not operating), which was paid for with funds generated from the Snowflake Special last March.
  by Milwaukee_F40C

CTA 45 is definitely at FRTM, it arrived the day after AEFR 304 came from Cleveland since we already had the truck available. The car has a pretty fresh green and white paint scheme. We traded "track work" for it plus the sale price, making field trips to East Troy to help them out during the next few summers.

CTA 35 might have been the one that was damaged, and CTA 28 wasn't built for trolley poles so it would have to MU with a car that has poles. I guess the East Troy guys didn't really care much for the "Spamcans", and wanted to make space for other stuff and have some spare parts for their PCC streetcars. Not really a bad outcome since there are tons of single and 6000 series CTA PCCs left.
  by byte

I read somewhere on Flickr, in a caption of what I guess were the two scrapped cars, that they were considered "too new" for East Troy's collection and that's why they were going to be disposed of. I sincerely hope that wasn't their justification and the photo caption was only based on a rumor, although if it was true I find that disappointing. Those cars aren't "new" by any stretch.
  by Tom6921

When I went to East Troy in 2000, the members loved their 5-50 series el cars.

This is a complete shock to me. If they think they're too new, wait a few years.
  by Tom6921

When I went to East Troy in 2000, the members loved their 5-50 series el cars.

This is a complete shock to me. If they think they're too new, wait a few years.

I'm starting to see why one of my friends no longer is a member of ETER.
  by Chicagopcclcars

That brings a tear to my eye....35 was one of the five PCC cars I personally bought at auction from the CTA. Months later, the CTA returned my money, saying I failed to keep contractual obligations. 6719 went to the Smithsonian, 22 went to IRM, and 33 and 720 were scrapped. I'm sad.

David Harrison
  by byte

For what it's worth, David, #22 is in good hands (two of them are mine). It and #41 operate on a pretty frequent basis at IRM, and there's a chance #30 might even make an appearance or two next year if we can get some work done on it. The PCC "L" cars are good runners, and their all-electric operation makes them ideal for the Holiday Train that starts this upcoming weekend as there are no air tanks to worry about freezing up.

The positive side of this little scrapping, if there is one, is that any scavenged parts found their way to new owners almost immediately, rather than the dozen or so 4000s which are still rotting out there waiting for restorations that will never come. Everyone and their mother bought one of those when they were retired, and to this day only three museums (and the CTA) actually run them. Several of the rest are too far gone to consider any sort of restoration without a huge influx of cash. Given the extent that those cars have deteriorated, it's a shame their owners didn't part them out years ago (while there was more intact historical fabric) to help increase the stockpiles of museums who CAN run them.
  by Milwaukee_F40C

I should have said "not the worst outcome", because it is still unfortunate. But I realize there is a demand for PCC parts, and track space isn't free either, and there is other historic equipment suffering.
I love the PCC L cars though, I think they are cool to have at museums because they seem new. Modern transit cars really haven't changed much since these cars and they are closer to my experience of riding various transit systems.
  by Chicagopcclcars

Thanks for the good words. Glad to know that 22 is still in good shape. I originally picked my three 5-50s based uppon their performances in prior charters. I can't remember the exact bid cost, but it wasn't that great. Problem was the sale stipulated "removal from CTA property" and I was trying to negotiate a storage on property that didn't politically sit well.

David Harrison
  by Tritransit Area

Wow. I remember these running on SEPTA's PW/rt 100/NHSL when I was a kid. This was way before I had the opportunity to go to Chicago.

Sorry to hear about the ones that were damaged...where are they operating though?
  by byte

Operating 1-50s can be seen at a few different places: IRM, Fox River, the Halton County Radial Railway in Ontario, and I believe the Museum of Transport in St. Louis also has a car they can run. Right now these are the only Chicago PCC "L" cars running anywhere, along with CSL 5001 (ex-CTA 51) at Fox River.

A variety of 6000s also exist in various places. Fox River has the "Krambles Cars" which are sans trolley poles and haven't run there under their own power (yet). Seashore Trolley Museum and the Museum of Transport have one pair of 6000s each, although neither are operated. IRM has three pairs, all of which have run at various times but aren't used currently - one pair works but needs interior work, one pair worked a long time ago but needs poles and exterior work, and one pair looks good inside and out but needs a cineston controller reinstalled after the old one blew up, along with two new motors. Ironically all those cars that went to SEPTA have survived, either in museums out east or still on Septa property.
  by byte

Here's a photo of Saturday Evening's holiday train at IRM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidfullarton/4161786237/ It's not quite like the "official" CTA holiday train, but I think it'll do for the museum.

Also, I heard a little more news on the disposition of the two cars at East Troy. IRM, Fox River, and the Kenosha streetcar system made sure any usable parts were scavenged and taken to where they were needed. (The latter may raise a few eyebrows, but here's a fun fact: Kenosha's streetcars run on trucks from CTA 6000s) At the end of the day the two cars were mostly shells, with anything usable removed and on its way to Union, South Elgin, or Kenosha.
  by Milwaukee_F40C

Is CTA 1 still at General Electric Transportation Systems of Erie, Pennsylvania?
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r0rg6b ... vl=2&sty=o
This aerial is kind of old, but if it is still there I wouldn't be surprised if it is in the exact same spot. Who knows what kind of sick tests GE did on it, but it is possible that they modified it with all kinds of crazy transit stuff. It would be dope if it could be brought back to Illinois, restored with scavenged PCC parts, and painted back in its red scheme. I know that might be problematic because of possible parts compatibility issues but its just an idea.
  by byte

CTA #1, last I heard, is still out there. Missing are most of the seats (which were a special red color), light fixtures, and one of the cineston controllers (which were of a special high-speed variant). The car itself is otherwise intact, aside from whatever electro-mechanical modifications GE made to it. It was used as a test-bed for a "chopper" control system (which was ironically never put in place on the CTA) and probably still has that hardware, or at least the old control system removed.
  by atsf sp

The bing map link doesnt work. Where on GE property is this located. Also it is said that it has been recently donated to the seashore trolley museum.