Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Nilet Railroad

Did someone actually SAY that the PA5s would have transverse cabs? Sorry, just a little hope here. Anyway, it seems that EVERYONE wants to get rid of their railfan windows. Subway, MNR, LIRR, now PATH??! That's crazy. Those windows were the reason I became a railfan in the first place. Sigh. :( How much longer now until they get automated trains and can bring the windows back?

by Irish Chieftain

Automated trains do not result in railfan windows. Note BART and WMATA.

Incidentally, they're called "full-width cabs".

by Nilet Railroad

Yeah, automated trains need not mean railfan windows, but it makes them more likely! Have you ridden the Docklands Light Rail?

Also, I've heard the terms "full-width" cab and "transverse" cab used interchangeably. Is there any significant difference between them that I'm missing out on?

by orangeline

Hi,

Full-width cabs do not necessarily mean the end of railfan windows! In Chicago, the 3200-series cars were built with full-width cabs, but when the cab is not used, e.g. last car, the motorman's (operator's) position is closed off with a door, and seats are flipped down on the opposite side, and, voila, 2 seats with a view of where you've just been. When in the front car, you can still look out through the left-side front window to help drive the train. The only problem is when the motorman blocks your view when opening doors on the left side.

I think a similar setup exisits on WAMTA, although I don't know if it is true for every car series.

by Nilet Railroad

Yeah, I've gotten a "through-cab" view on the Washington DC Metro and Miami Metrorail, but it's not as good as the proper up-front thing. Also, I've always liked the front view instead of the back view, so the knockdown cabs don't help with that. Is PATH going OPTO, though?

by NHRR WTBY

orangeline wrote:I think a similar setup exisits on WAMTA, although I don't know if it is true for every car series.
The setup is the same on all series METRO cars in DC. On the front end, you can see through the windows of the full-width cab; it's still a good view. On the back end, the door swings inward 90 degrees to close off the operator's portion of the cab, leaving two seats and the window available for railfans.
  by Head-end View

I wouldn't assume too much from looking at the artist's rendering of the proposed PA-5. Many times the actual car turns out to look different than the advertised drawings. That was true 38 years ago with NYC Subways' R-40 and more recently with LIRR's M-7. My guess is that they will have full-width cabs, but maybe if we're lucky we'll be able to see thru the cab window. We'll just have to wait-n-see what they build. Let's hope we luck out! :wink:
  by Allan

Head-end View wrote:I wouldn't assume too much from looking at the artist's rendering of the proposed PA-5. Many times the actual car turns out to look different than the advertised drawings. That was true 38 years ago with NYC Subways' R-40 and more recently with LIRR's M-7. My guess is that they will have full-width cabs, but maybe if we're lucky we'll be able to see thru the cab window. We'll just have to wait-n-see what they build. Let's hope we luck out! :wink:
When delivered the R-40s looked very close to the artist drawing. It was when the TA decided to add those extra pieces of hardware to the ends (because of the large open space between the ends) did it stop looking like the drawing.

by The Workers

Those windows were the reason I became a railfan in the first place. Sigh.
Yes, Path would like to discourage all railfans from looking out the front window. They feel so strongly about this that they've spent millions for "full-width cabs" on all the new equipment. However, the large side windows will still be provided to give you an up close unobscured view of the tunnel walls. And remember railfans - photographs are prohibited on all PATH property. That includes equipment & stations!
  by Head-end View

Workers: How do you know all this? Are you a PATH employee? Where did you get your info? Is it reliable? 'Cause if it's true, well......... :(
  by R142A

Head-end View wrote:Workers: How do you know all this? Are you a PATH employee? Where did you get your info? Is it reliable? 'Cause if it's true, well......... :(
I think he was being sarcastic.

by The Workers

Sarcastic! Absolutely! :-D

The part about the photographs is true - The "rules" of the Port Authority are listed at every station!