• Passenger train competition

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Tommy Meehan

Thanks for the information Noel. After I sent the message I got to wondering if it might've been a Saturday morning when I saw the Pittsfield train at Port Chester. Later I may've seen 138 listed in the timetable as 'Sunday-only' and remembered that as the train I saw. Until right now I always thought the through train was a Sunday only service back in 1964-66.

I was still in junior high school in that period, 1962-66 and lived in White Plains. I went to Port Chester by bus, usually Saturday or Sunday. What has really stuck in my mnd all these years is the train with a single FL-9 unit. Only time I remembering seeing that, an FL-9 operating solo.

There was a photo in TRAINS back then of the crew turning the unit on the old Armstrong turntable up in Pittsfield. I've seen that photo (or one very much like it) reproduced in other publications too.

In thinking about it, I also recall riding a train several Saturday mornings in January or February 1964 out of Port Chester to Penn Station. This was a long coach train with a Jet up front. Arrival at Port Chester was around 9:00 AM I think.

This train had a Springfield section or may've originated there I think. I recall my first ride sitting in a facing seat (the train was very crowded) with a family and they were coming from Springfield.

Really miss the old days! Great fun if you liked railroads. Reading your comments brings it all back, thanks again.