• Parked power

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by CN Sparky

I've noticed lots of parked CN power lately... at my work (Thorton Yard) there's four SD40-2's, a pair of GP-38's, a couple of miscellaneous yard engines and even one of the 8000's just sitting parked... maybe I'll take some pics tonight at work...

Anyone else got a line of locos nearby? Or is it just us?
  by CN Sparky

Here's one of them, 8012...

... "stored serviceable"... aka temporarily relegated to spotting fuel cars... which is sad. Apparently all twenty-five of the 80xx's are parked waiting for more traffic... not that I'm a great fan of these units, but I wonder why these are parked while there are still Dash 8's and SD-40's & 60's running around?

More pics of the yard yesterday are here: http://members.shaw.ca/CN_sparky/Yard/31mar09/

Sorry about the quality... just before sundown, and a crappy 2MP Kodak camera...
  by iceman977th

When I was over at the paint shop in Huntington, I saw a long line of Geep's, SD's, a couple GE's, and the load test unit HLS1 sitting down by the shops. Also caught a slug being pulled back to the mother unit after being painted from the grey scheme to YN3
  by CN Sparky

We're up to six SD40's now.. plus two slugs and six other yard engines.. the 8012 was sent dead back east to Quality Rail (I think?) for engine warranty... whatever that means.

Rumour has it that the 80xx's may be getting autostart and DP mods while they're stored... good time to get that stuff done!
  by CN Sparky

Well, we inherited a new doug & slug pair at Thornton this week... 7259 and 236. Sent away 7309 on account of b/o blowers... heard it's headed for the scrap heap. Too bad, it's got a practically new main gen under the hood... as well as a stand up load regulator I would have liked to keep on hand... oh well.

All the stored units are slowly headed east to Edmonton for storage.. not sure why. Now we have some yards sitting around, and a pair of slugs (one stored serviceable, one wrecked)... not much else.

Someone near Walker or Woodcrest should have some good storage line pics?!??
  by ENR3870

CN Sparky wrote:Well, we inherited a new doug & slug pair at Thornton this week... 7259 and 236.
Hopefully 7259 isn't another junker like 7263.
  by CN Sparky

7259 seems to be doing well.. though the Adhesion Enhancements have been bypassed, probably needs a new board. I'll check it out when it's in for a mileage inspection ;)

7263 should be released from the shops soon... needs some minor work done still. We've replaced 5 power assemblies, changed both water pumps, plus a bunch of adhesion upgrades to the electrical system. We discovered the transition system wasn't working at all - the panels were wired wrong and burnt to bits... no wonder it was a dog. She should pull like a mofo now!
  by ENR3870

CN Sparky wrote:7259 seems to be doing well.. though the Adhesion Enhancements have been bypassed, probably needs a new board. I'll check it out when it's in for a mileage inspection ;)

7263 should be released from the shops soon... needs some minor work done still. We've replaced 5 power assemblies, changed both water pumps, plus a bunch of adhesion upgrades to the electrical system. We discovered the transition system wasn't working at all - the panels were wired wrong and burnt to bits... no wonder it was a dog. She should pull like a mofo now!
Yeah I see 7263, 212, and 7244 are over in West Van now. Replaced the 7216 and 1419.

Oh, almost forgot. What's become of the 7206?
  by CN Sparky

Finally toasted the main gen... after numerous attempts to save it, she finally gave out. It was sent back East to Montreal for a new one though, she should be running around Thornton yard right now, maybe you'll see it over in West Van again soon :)

We inherited another one.. 7036. Was involved in a side-swipe wreck in Edmonton, then came to SRY for bodywork... now it's in our shop getting the cab put back together again.... needs a lot of work still, but it's going to be nice when it's back in one piece.
  by CN Sparky

I stand corrected. 7206 and slug 205 have been parked, like a lot of the yard units. I've lost count now how many...

7206 is overdue for its' Quadrennial inspection anyway, which in itself is pretty intensive... change out all the brake parts, etc.. so no doubt it'll be a while before you'll be using it to throw cars around any time soon.

Transfer power lately seems to be whatever freight unit comes inbound, is serviced, but not ordered for a train. It's fueled and cleaned, then thrown into transfer service for a day or two until it's ordered up on a train eastbound....
  by ENR3870

205 is parked? So what's the 7243 running around with now?
  by CN Sparky

Well, 205 was mated up with 7206 after it came back with a new main gen... 7243 was running around with another unit, I think it was 7066.. maybe 7067... but 7243 just came into the shops last week with a busted geartrain, so she's off to Winterpeg for a new engine... or retirement, only time will tell.
  by CN Sparky

And... 7259 blew it's main gen... I got some pics:

http://members.shaw.ca/CN_sparky/carnag ... 0_5676.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/CN_sparky/carnag ... 0_5677.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/CN_sparky/carnag ... 0_5678.JPG

(clicky, clicky!)

And now 7259 and her slug are both parked as well! I think we're running out of working yard units that aren't parked... actually, the parked ones aren't in great shape anyway...
  by ENR3870

CN Sparky wrote: We inherited another one.. 7036. Was involved in a side-swipe wreck in Edmonton, then came to SRY for bodywork... now it's in our shop getting the cab put back together again.... needs a lot of work still, but it's going to be nice when it's back in one piece.
I see 7036 is over at Lynn Creek now, running around with the 7067.