• PAR wants to operate ex-MMA/BAR trackage

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Cowford

Don't rule out the possibility that Brownville Jct is seeing its last trains. (Particularly) with MMA in tatters, their right to operate in Canada revoked and crude's future volume potential somewhat questionable, the chances of the line west of Brownville Jct reopening is 50/50 at best. The new connection just to the east of Brownville Jct could easily be expanded to to accomodate traffic moving between NB and No ME Jct. Between the KI branch and the line segment east of B Jct, a successor could abandon 5 miles of trackage.
  by BigLou80

Cowford wrote:What is this Billerica masterstroke that keeps getting mentioned?
To answer your questions only a few years late. They negotiated a deal, where they sold their shops and offices to the state, who agreed to provide them with office space free of charge forever. If the state needs to move them the state will be paying their rent elsewhere. Sounds like a grand slam to me
  by Cowford

Oh. To the best of my knowledge, that deal predates PAR (or more appropriately, GRS)... doesn't it go back to the 70s? And free office space isn't something to sneeze at, but grand slam?
  by BigLou80

Cowford wrote:Oh. To the best of my knowledge, that deal predates PAR (or more appropriately, GRS)... doesn't it go back to the 70s? And free office space isn't something to sneeze at, but grand slam?
The whole deal including the recent con river one certainly are. They sold the lines to the state, while keeping the sole right to customers, and the right to run their trains. The property tax savings alone have to be worth millions, not counting the MOW savings and capitol expenses.

You may well be right about the date, It all predates me as I was born in 1980