• PAR Locomotive Fleet - General Discussion

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by NHV 669

MEC407 wrote:Depends. Is it possible for locomotives to get The Diabeetus?
Of course... that's the only way they can get repainted these days. Then AARP, ahem, Another Aging Rental Purchaser takes over home-hospice care
  by KSmitty

NHV 669 wrote:Then AARP, ahem, Another Aging Rental Purchaser takes over home-hospice care
We have a winner! :-D You should write comedy, that was good...
  by bml54

I've heard rumors that pan am is going to buy the 2 ex-bn loco's they have been leasing because hlcx is scrapping its older units is this true?
  by KSmitty

bml54 wrote:I've heard rumors that pan am is going to buy the 2 ex-bn loco's they have been leasing because hlcx is scrapping its older units is this true?
Where do you hear things?

HELM was sold to FURX over a year ago. The HLCX units have been off property for close to a year now. Helm/now FURX isn't actively cutting up any units.

Long and short: what you heard is grade A bull.
  by bml54

Where do you hear things?

HELM was sold to FURX over a year ago. The HLCX units have been off property for close to a year now. Helm/now FURX isn't actively cutting up any units.

Long and short: what you heard is grade A bull.
I only have 2 sources my uncle who I haven't talked to in over a year and his friend who keeps giving me lies, and I had more sources I had 5 or 6 older gentleman but over the summer 5 died and the 6th moved to TX. and the info they gave me was true but all my uncles friend which ill just call him by his first name from now on, randy isn't a reliable source but I honestly don't have any other sources and I can't find any and my uncle who worked for pan am doesn't care about pan am and honestly I think he is praying that pan am will be bought by ns or csx, thus if that happened hopefully we would have more than 2 people in Maine taking videos so I might have a better chance at getting true info but until than im using my resources to there full extent.

but if anyone knows where I can get accurate info about pan am please direct me to it! im tired of getting class A bull shit from randy and than I get like 90 replies but its just because that one guy doesn't know anything about par.
  by bml54

no hes not on here but what makes me angry is that he lies to my face every time.
  by KSmitty

bml54 wrote:no hes not on here but what makes me angry is that he lies to my face every time.
I think you'll find BM6569 was suggesting you read here for information.

There are many here who have a good working knowledge of the railroad. Newpylong is an excellent resource. Read his posts, understand what hes saying. BMCDR is another though his posts on this forum are rarer. Bill Gingrich is the closest to an expert on the locomotive roster at it gets, read his posts for content and understanding.

There are others who have a less thorough grasp on the railroad, but post what they see, only what they see, not what they are told. Report trains you see, please! But stick to what your eyes see, not what your ears hear from someone.

Lastly, relax, read, and think before you post. People will take you much more seriously if you your posts are cohesive. Use proper english, capitol letters, punctuation and blank lines between thoughts. It makes it easier to read and helps others follow what you are trying to convey. Taking time, and thinking will help drastically as well. Pose rumors (things you hear) as questions, not as statements. Thinking would have prevented the. Statement that a scrap pile was 15 stories tall. Thats just not possible. Moderation, thought, composition and self adherance to the facts will make you a better contributor, by helping others appreciate and understand what you are trying to say.

There are close to 15 years of Guilford/Pan Am disscussions archived. Pick through and do some reading on interesting topics. You'll find a lot of information, mostly accurate. These forums are a great source of information, and will teach you a lot, while offering the chance for you to teach others.
  by NHV 669

^Yessir.

I've learned quite a lot in the year I've been on here, gathering information on the old, unused tracks that run through my hometowns of Littleton/Bethlehem, NH. RRPhotoArchives, as well as the New-England based site, (the name escapes me currently) offer plenty of info picture-wise on what rolls/used to roll on any tracks you'll ever see. As a guy in my mid-twenties, who's had tracks nearby almost all of my life, as well as taking part in railheading at Fort Carson, CO, I'm impressed by the vast knowledge of other members on this site that has taken me from a trainspotter interested in car-counts to having a basic understanding of the business side of things (thanks CN9634). Not to mention the invaluable info on train designations/destinations and timeframes. I couldn't have chased SLR trains last year or made a late-February day trip to Danville Jct. without assistance from site members here. Google Maps is another great assistant, as you can spot/trace active lines with lesser used and abandoned lines/ROWs.

Listen to the guys with RR-business experience, your brain will grow far here.
  by bml54

you do know I don't really like pan am because they forced my uncle to retire, they don't care about what needs to be done, and finally Its not my favorite railroad and I rather railfan the dsrx or the bml any day only if they could run freight which again is a long shot
  by 690

bml54 wrote:you do know I don't really like pan am because they forced my uncle to retire, they don't care about what needs to be done, and finally Its not my favorite railroad and I rather railfan the dsrx or the bml any day only if they could run freight which again is a long shot
Then why are you cluttering up this thread with barely relevant posts?
  by bml54

ok but I do post relevant things someone else started that thing which made me start talking about non related info on here.
  by CN9634

All I've ever really learned about the railroad industry are two things.... 1.) cash is king and 2.) whatever you think makes logical sense and should happen, never does.
  by KSmitty

bml54 wrote:you do know I don't really like pan am because they forced my uncle to retire, they don't care about what needs to be done, and finally Its not my favorite railroad and I rather railfan the dsrx or the bml any day only if they could run freight which again is a long shot
I tried to help out after you said you didn't have many "sources" for reliable railroad information. Then I tried to give you some pointers on forum etiquette. You know, the basic stuff that keeps you from getting ignored or moderated.

You follow up on that friendly advice with a comment that you don't care, and can't be bothered to find the shift key. Maybe you'd like to know I don't care about the sob story, and I don't care if the armpit from which you pull these not even remotely believable rumors is a friend, family member or pet rattlesnake named Rebecca that can speak if only with a thick German accent. What you present (like a 15 story scrap pile) is so incredibly stupid that no one believes it for a moment. The fact that you continue to perpetrate the lie, until it is no longer remotely possible, and then blame it on your "source Randy who lies to you" is equally stupid and juvenile.

I remember, back in my day, you had to be at least old enough to formulate logical sentences with something resembling proper grammatical form to have free range of the internet. Now it seems they give every snivelling 4 year old a computer.
  by GP40MC1118

Interesting filing today with the STB today...

MEC lease with GMTX for 5 SD40-2's - GMTX 3400-3404.
Heritage unknown...

D