• PAR Business Train (ST 100, 101, 102 & 103; PAR 1 & 2)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by schwab21

I spoke to the same B&M Police officer. He told me I could take pictures, but specificly said to stay on the grassy area, and not to go past his vheicle. He was very professional, and friendly. We did not go on the ballast.
  by atsf sp

by drcrf93

Did they leave 516 in Maine? I though the two always traveled together.
  by MEC407

516 had some mechanical issues and had to be sent back to Waterville for last-minute TLC. It is now on its way back to Boston (or may already be there).
  by Titleist71

MEC407 wrote:516 had some mechanical issues and had to be sent back to Waterville for last-minute TLC. It is now on its way back to Boston (or may already be there).

It is at Danville Junction. I believe it is being re-crewed possibly. 516 extra said he cleared the Diamond and D1 said their is a cab at the "Office" It should arrive at BET for 3am.
Todd
  by drcrf93

That makes more sense, I figured it was something mechanical. I didn't realize there was already a post about 516 on the other thread. Thanks for the info.
  by Titleist71

miketrainnut wrote:
newpylong wrote: Does it really matter if we know if he had permission or not?
It may not matter to some, but it may to others. It looked to be a very dangerous spot to me when I went by. I can't believe they gave permission to drive on the ballast like that. I believe in safe railfanning without trespassing.
Mike
I am the photographer. I want to clear up your confusion. I was NOT parked on the ballast. The B&M RR Police were. I parked in the Goodwill Lot. I walked up towards the officer, stopping on public property. I identified myself, and asked to take pictures. He waved me up to him on railroad property, standing on the ballast. We chatted, I got FULL PERMISSION and then I took my pictures. We chatted more when I was done getting my photos. I showed him my photo's to prove that I protected his privacy and thanked him. I never got any closer to the mainline than he was parked in his vehicle. I wouldn't have walked on the mainline even with permission. I did have permission to be on the ballast. I too believe in safe rail fanning without trespassing. To clear up any further confusion, all of my past, present and future photographs have been and will be taken with permission or on public property. Sorry for any misunderstandings.
Todd
  by MEC407

Todd, thanks for taking the time to explain what happened. Thanks also for being safe and doing the right thing. And finally, thanks for the photos, and welcome to railroad.net!
  by Titleist71

MEC407 wrote:Todd, thanks for taking the time to explain what happened. Thanks also for being safe and doing the right thing. And finally, thanks for the photos, and welcome to railroad.net!
No problem. I have been viewing the forum for quite sometime without joining. It was about time to join, lol. Thank you!! I take photo's almost daily (if time and light permit) and post on NERAIL. Check em out! The site is very informational, it's great! Glad to be on board, no pun intended.
Todd Sherry
  by SooLineRob

miketrainnut wrote:Too bad the guy who took those photos didn't get nailed for trespassing. I happened to drive by this afternoon while those pictures were taken and noticed that the shot of the cars and/or the entire train was taken from beside the main. In a Vehicle. On the Ballast. Railfan or not, knowing where the trains are or not, we should never trespass while taking photos. Great photos can be achieved without the need to trespass.
Self-righteous-rant turned insert-foot-into-mouth...

Thanks for coming in today!
  by Mikejf

Foot Inserted deeply. Thank you Todd for clearing that up. Your photos look to be about the same angle as their unmarked (from a distance) vehicle. Sorry for the false accusation.
Mike
  by Titleist71

Not a big deal. Thanks. Yes I was at a distance. I walked west further away from the unmarked car along side the mainline on the ballast. I was too close to get a good angle with my telephoto in relation to where he was parked. So I moved away.
Todd

miketrainnut wrote:Foot Inserted deeply. Thank you Todd for clearing that up. Your photos look to be about the same angle as their unmarked (from a distance) vehicle. Sorry for the false accusation.
Mike
  by MEC407

highrail wrote:Any clue as to the cars, purpose, etc. Looks pretty interesting.
See this thread for more info: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 55&t=65484