• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Mandy Saxo

Mr QB, your posts read like a PSR influenced AI BOT...
  by QB 52.32

Thank you for that contribution, Mr. Saxo, now you can return to the darkness under that bridge where you like to hang out.
  by jamoldover

I think it's clear (reading the back-and-forth) that there are some on this forum who are unapologetic believers in the glory of EHH and the PSR movement, and some who are unwavering in their (equally valid) views of EHH as a cult leader who forced people to drink the Cool-Aid of the PSR cult to their doom. I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in between. Since the railroad industry started almost 200 years ago, there have been waves of new or repackaged ideas that have swept through the industry. Some of them made things better, some of them made things worse, and some of them amounted to rearranging the deck chairs. Let's try to pull back from both PSR boosting and PSR bashing, and look at the larger picture. There are lots of things that have changed over the past six years that have had (and are having) an effect on the railroad industry. The use of (or lack of) various strategies labelled "PSR" is only a small part of that.
  by MEC407

Moderate Note:

Please stay on-topic re: the Worcester Main Line. This thread isn't the right place to debate the merits of PSR.
  by neman2

D1 gave Extra CSXT 930 a Form D Burncoat to WOR 1 at 13:24 hrs. When it passed Chester Railcam the log says it had 3 lead engines and 2 DPU's, all grain cars.

Edit --- At 13:50 hrs D-1 calling this train M 426
  by neman2

At 15:24 D1 told M426 CSXT 930 grain train to drop the train in the yard. I believe he said take the head end power back west and tie it down at the end of the yard then take the dp to Worcester, but not positive on the power moves.

Note there is another M426 CSXT 8831 in the Lowell area now.
  by jamoldover

Depending on how long it looks like it will be before the washouts along PAS get fixed, there may be some detour moves to keep an eye out for.
  by neman2

The two west end dpu's from grain train CSXT 3151 and ? called clear of Burncoat at 20:40 hrs by D1.
At 20:44 D 1 gave M427 with the CSXT 483 Form D from WOR 1 to Burncoat .
  by F74265A

Anyone seen any evidence of 25 mph yet north of Clinton?
  by F74265A

So I think it is still 10. Ex Subaru guy has video today of 264 detour through Clinton and the train appears to slow to 10

He also claims this is first time the pig train has moved over worc main. I’m pretty sure that’s not true as there have been previous detours of that train via Worcester
  by Train60

As a friendly comment, how about sharing a link to the video rather than simply telling us that the "Ex Subaru guy" posted a new video. Most people probably have no idea who the Ex Subaru guy is or where to find the video without a link. Thanks.
Last edited by Train60 on Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by newpylong

F74265A wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:57 pm So I think it is still 10. Ex Subaru guy has video today of 264 detour through Clinton and the train appears to slow to 10

He also claims this is first time the pig train has moved over worc main. I’m pretty sure that’s not true as there have been previous detours of that train via Worcester
Haven't you muted him yet?

Yes there have been detours in the past of this train and other previous incarnations.
  by johnpbarlow

I witnessed the IM train X426-14 rumble through Still River depot rd crossing Friday 9/15/23 and it was going faster than 10mph but it had to stop a mile or so ahead at Harvard to ask B&E for permission into Hill Yard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by MrB

Have to post a possibly silly question...from the Worcester station northward to Barbers Junction, there was I believe a double tracked section of which only 1 track is currently in use north of Garden St. CSX parks trains along W Boyleston St and then has to wait for a crew from G&W to come up and pull the train down into the yard for CSX. I'm sure it has something to do with ownership of the row, but why couldn't CSX rebuild the 2nd track from Barbers Junction all the way down to the yards and completely bypass G&W crews? It would certainly seem to streamline their operation. I read this weekend on another post of how a member of the CSX higher ups had been spending time with folks in the Maine area and how he was hearing very positive things about developing more business in that region since CSX was investing in the infrastructure. Better service means more business means more trains...wouldn't they want to streamline their service along the entire route from Maine to Selkirk? This would also make me question why not rebuild a section of the old railyard along Rte 290 to handle the additional freight comings and goings?
  by newpylong

Only CSX crews are on that train, not the P&W.

There's no need to rebuild any yard there, the second track may be nice but the reality is with the P&W only running at most 1 train pair through per day it's not a big deal.

What would be more important would be to make from CP45 all the way to Burncoat Street DCS.
Last edited by newpylong on Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.