• Pan Am Southern / Patriot Corridor Discussion

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by newpylong

CN9634 wrote:So there is actually a paper barrier for VRS right now as part of the NS trackage rights on CP they can not directly interchange with VRS. That traffic must go VRS-CP-NS. The VRS-PAS traffic is all bound for PAR (and maybe some other nearby RRs?). I believe there is a motion to change this with the D&H deal.
If there is a paper barrier it's irrelevant - it's 45 miles from Saratoga (where NS's trackage rights end) and Whitehall.
  by fogg1703

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Send it to CP in Whitehall and let them deliver it to NS and CSX?
My point exactly. Could shippers seek out the STB to keep the rates for the VRS/CP/NS routing the same as a VRS/PAS/NS routing in the name of potentially traffic killing service?
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

fogg1703 wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Send it to CP in Whitehall and let them deliver it to NS and CSX?
My point exactly. Could shippers seek out the STB to keep the rates for the VRS/CP/NS routing the same as a VRS/PAS/NS routing in the name of potentially traffic killing service?
I would think PAR is under enough pressure by its lonesome to fix this disaster that they'd give consent--with NS's gun pointed directly at their heads--for a Whitehall-CP-Mohawk re-route, say, for 1-2 weeks or until PAS is suitably moving again. If that's what it takes to sort out the mess. Any paper barriers would actually help for a faster resolution in this case as PAS can control the relief valve while offering enough enough damage-control to 1) keep VRS from filing complaints of a much more serious/formal nature that might involve higher authorities, and 2) buy a little more time to get their own @#$% together.
  by fogg1703

newpylong wrote:Omya out of tanks up in VT.
NECR Millers Falls to BF reroute? Even staunchy NECR might be better than sending cars through ED.
  by newpylong

fogg1703 wrote:
newpylong wrote:Omya out of tanks up in VT.
NECR Millers Falls to BF reroute? Even staunchy NECR might be better than sending cars through ED.
Probably not likely with the NECR/(PAS/VRS) pissing match.

In theory it could work, Rigby has been blocking for Deerfield. But the Wye switch at MF faces east so that would be difficult - would have to come down the #1 track at Erving and chop the VTRs off the tail end - then have someone run around and shove in. There isn't much room at MF so the NECR would need to be waiting. I don't see it happening.
  by Safetee

Well Omya is finally moving to the top of the list. A westbound intermodal through shelburne falls sported 30-40 omya tanks and hoppers on the head end.
  by atholrail

PAS now utilizing run through power between ED/Selkirk on EDRJ/RJED, possibly to DeWitt...

Over 100 cars coming out of NB today on AD1...

23K outlawing at Hoosick Falls with VTR's on the headpin...
  by newpylong

1230 OD in NY recrew to come get that 23K will set off VTRs on West Wye. AD-1 tie down 2 light engines east wye, taxi to XO to get 2 more engines, return to the junction then go to NB and clean out the place.

1 MOED at Ferry St with two MBCR engines. Another MOED at Knickerbocker with another on it.
  by newpylong

AD-1 waiting for LCT to go by to open up at Hoosick JUnction to switch out westbounds from that monster they pulled out of N. Bennington yesterday (yep, it's still there) and stash them at the junction and Hoosick Middle. Remainder of train is Portlands and will highball Deerfield.
  by johnpbarlow

I hear from family near Binghamton NY that either a 22K or a 206 train has been parked in a controlled siding in Owego on the NS Southern Tier for a day or so. Apparently such parking of PAS-bound intermodals has occurred occasionally this winter. I'm guessing this instance is due to the snow clogging in the Ayer terminal area? Or perhaps just a lack of PAR crews due to the weather and the general malaise of PAS/PAR ops these days? Per my eavesdropping on the CPR Sunbury Sub radio, I know NS has hired a number of new operating employees in Binghamton for the NS trains that run on CP north and south. These NS trains (930/931/932/933) seem to run daily per a somewhat predictable schedule. BTW, in addition to hearing the new self-described NS conductor/engineer trainees on the radio, I now hear a new CP D&H dispatcher-trainee apprenticed to a veteran dispatcher on the CPR Sunbury radio feed.
  by newpylong

Lack of crews mostly. On the west end 2 engineers left, 1 was fired, and another is on disability. So they are down 4 out there. They have 5 crews from Maine down training in Deerfield.

Yesterday there were 2 22K trains at Shelburne, one down at Ashfield St and the other about 2 car lengths behind it at the 112 bridge. RJED at soapstone and EDRJ at NA.