• Pan Am's Heritage Locomotives

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by bmcdr

Its time for the "Old Guy" to weigh in on the 77. It is a fabulous job with only two small flaws, yes, the word "RAILROAD" should appear under the herald on the cab and the words "BOSTON AND MAINE" on the side should be a wee bit taller, but it is a spectacular looking piece of equipment.

Also, the minute man statue does not belong on the nose, that was something the "T" did when they painted the 1921 that is now property of the HOBO RR.
  by MEC407

Guilford Guy9887 wrote:
MEC407 wrote:
Guilford Guy9887 wrote:ST guilford grey phase 1 ( really what else could you do!)
This is what ST looked like before Guilford:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=172196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would definitely be interesting to see that adapted to a geep.

WOW. on a gp9, that would probably be my favorite!

OK, it took me a couple of hours (those louvers on the long hood are a pain in the @$$), but here is my attempt at what the original ST paint scheme might look like on a GP9:

(click the preview to see it full-size)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by KSmitty

Nicely done!

If I may nitpick, since you took time to remove the D/B fan on the blister, you should have also added the larger spark arrestor boxes on the exhaust stacks... :)
  by MEC407

D'oh! I was going to do that; I guess my brain went kind of numb after spending almost an hour trying to get the horizontal white stripes perfect. :-\

Oh well, just try to imagine it with spark arrestors. :wink:
  by Otto Vondrak

bmcdr wrote:Its time for the "Old Guy" to weigh in on the 77. It is a fabulous job with only two small flaws, yes, the word "RAILROAD" should appear under the herald on the cab and the words "BOSTON AND MAINE" on the side should be a wee bit taller, but it is a spectacular looking piece of equipment.

Also, the minute man statue does not belong on the nose, that was something the "T" did when they painted the 1921 that is now property of the HOBO RR.
If Mr. Hutchinson approves, so do I! Pan Am Railways should be thanked and congratulated for their efforts. Looking forward to seeing what's in store down the line...

-otto-
  by MEC407

I can honestly say that 77 looks just as good in person as she does in photos. :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by MEC407

by KSmitty

We'll have to create one of those, "where are they now" threads to keep track of the 3 heritage units...

Any clue where they will wind up, in yard service @ ED or Rigby or Waterville? I don't imagine they will be out on the mains, though I wish they would.
  by markhb

I was told by one of the PanAm workers yesterday that they are going to do a total of 5 units: the 77, plus one each in B&M Blue, MEC Gold, MEC Green, and GRS Charcoal. My response was that I hope the Smurf gets to keep its own current livery, which led to a brief discussion of how labor-intensive that paint job actually was compared to the current Navy scheme.
  by daylight4449

KSmitty wrote:We'll have to create one of those, "where are they now" threads to keep track of the 3 heritage units...
Do we even know what other unit's will get the heritage treatment?
  by b&m 1566

MCER401 wrote:This is a LOCKED post from 16 months ago where this exact scenario was being discussed. It's very interesting to read back through it. Also amazing to see how the whole idea seemed so crazy just over a year ago that the thread was LOCKED just for talking about it.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 55&t=70888
Yeah, I have a little bitterness for it being locked. ;-)