• Pan Am business cars (ST 100 & 101) - HO models?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by lexon

I model HO scale and have ordered the Atlas Pan Am Railway #350 with DCC/sound. I found out about the business cars and I am looking for up to date info on these cars. I did search this forum for business cars but got lost in all the rhetoric. It believe they are 72' from what someone in the area told me but not sure.
I would hope to find both in HO scale, at least "maybe" close to the prototype.
I see the Pan Am Railway switching the box plant at the Northampton/Holyoke border as I go through that area three times a week.
Our club roughly models this area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rich
  by p42thedowneaster

Eh, they look like they were pretty heavily modified to me.
The observation car, 100, is really interesting...I can't tell if they took a heavyweight and modernized it....or they took a newer ACF car and platform-ed one end. The observation car 100 stands much taller than its neighbor 101.

I think I would start off with a couple of Walther's smoothside passenger cars...either from the NYC or Empire Builder runs and start bashing!
  by MEC407

The 101 originally had fluted stainless steel side panels, but they were removed a few years ago.
  by mec 381

I believe ST100 may have been a heavyweight passenger car, this maybe why it is taller than ST101, and built with an observation platform. It also still has 3 axle trucks, but has just been upgraded in recient years to what it looks like now.