• Paint Match on Solid Blue D&H HO Scale Atlas units

• Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.
Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

by JDFCLK96

Has anyone found a good match for the blue Atlas has used on the recent D&H units in the solid blue scheme? These include the RS-11s, U23Bs, and C424Ms.

I have tried Polly Scale's D&H "Avon Blue", but this is not a good match. I'm applying railroad specific details to these units and need a blue that matches, especially in areas where I'm removing the factory horn mounts and filling in the holes with putty. A close match can be blended in and dullcoated.

by Dieter

Have you thought of contacting Atlas directly and asking them? If enough people did that, Atlas might add a line of matching paints.

Try contacting them. They're reachable, courteous and helpful. The only other outfit I've found as accomodating to questions and suggestions is MRC.

Dieter.

by Champlain Division

Steve Wagner, as I remember it, was heavily involved in this with Atlas. Best to ask him.

by JDFCLK96

Working on the RS-11s has revealed that they aren't painted blue, but actually molded in the blue color. I think they just overcoated them with a dull finish. This makes removing cast-on detail a breeze, you just sand the surface smooth and dullcoat the area. That still doesn't take care of added detail parts though.