• Padded Walls on the BSL

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by m&m

Does anyone know what the white padded walls on the Broad Street Line are about? They look like white elevator padding and it's on some, but not all the cars. I keep hearing jokes about taking the train to the funny farm and it got me wondering why there were there. Anyone here know?

by rrbluesman

If your talking about the car I rode on this morning the 'white padded' walls, or at least what appears to have been padded, appeared to be a part of the Cottonelle toliet tissue advertisements. I thought it was taking an advertising campaign a little too far myself

by Tritransit Area

Wait...interior ads for the BSL? Was it wrapped in any sort of way similar to what they are doing in the NY subway (an interior wrap similar to what you find on the outside of buses and such).

by scotty269

I have pictures being transfered to my computer now. I'll upload them here ASAP.

by m&m

rrbluesman wrote:If your talking about the car I rode on this morning the 'white padded' walls, or at least what appears to have been padded, appeared to be a part of the Cottonelle toliet tissue advertisements. I thought it was taking an advertising campaign a little too far myself
Is that what that was? Go figure, I noticed the wrapping, but not the advertisement. Guess I wasn't paying attention.

by rrbluesman

I've never been on the NY subway, so I don't know if it was like that, but it covered virtually all of the walls and ceilings, but not the windows. When I first looked at it, I thought it was padding too, just really sophisticated pics. I wouldn't have figured out the advertisement if I hadn't looked up at the strip thing where the advertisements would have been otherwise and the Cottonelle name and it's tag just repeated itself over and over again. I don't recall the sticky advertisement paper covering the walls having any other reference to the product, but then I wasn't looking too hard either.

by JeffK

The advertisers obviously knew that

(a) SEPTA doesn't provide bathrooms.

(b) The Morlocks* who live in the tunnels use stations as "facilities" anyway.

(*) See Wells, H. G.

by CarterB

Maybe a new campaign? "WIPE out subway crime!!"

by Bill R.

I agree with rrbluesman, this is a little over the edge. What's next --Would they do an interior wrap for feminine hygene products, ED medication, or laxatives (maybe that's logical after the toilet paper)? I appreciate the importance of new revenue streams, but slightly better judgement concerning the products to be advertised might be in order.

Cottonelle and the SEPT-ic System -- Perfect together.

by Hebrewman9

Kudos to SEPTA for making a quick buck wrapping the interior of BSL cars. Good idea, as it's not like any part of the BSL actually looks good on its own.

by RDG-LNE

I rode car number 537 on Friday the 9th and it was in the interior wrap for Cottonelle. What, if any, other cars are out there?

Drew

by cpontani

In New York, sometimes one advertiser gets all (or half (left or right side)) of the advertising space in a particular car. Occasionally, there's the wrapped car like this one, which is a little over the top. But kudos for Septa finally getting with the times and going after some quality advertisers.

by 56andahalf

Bill R. wrote:I appreciate the importance of new revenue streams, but slightly better judgement concerning the products to be advertised might be in order.
Toilet paper's bad, but at least they're not giving space to Colt 45 again!

by R3 Passenger

The RR cars might not be too far off. I noticed that they are putting ads on the ceiling now. It's great to be looking at a fun Hershey Park ad when falling asleep on an afternoon local.