Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by djmarco121

How do they change the power from diesel to third rail if the engineer is in the cab car?
  by RearOfSignal

djmarco121 wrote:How do they change the power from diesel to third rail if the engineer is in the cab car?
There's a switch in the cab car.
  by DutchRailnut

every function of the Genesis can be done from Cab car.
  by Fan Railer

DutchRailnut wrote:every function of the Genesis can be done from Cab car.
AFAIK, you can't activate dynamics separately of the pneumatics from the Cab; there's no separate dynamic brake control in the Shoreliners.
  by RearOfSignal

Fan Railer wrote:
AFAIK, you can't activate dynamics separately of the pneumatics from the Cab; there's no separate dynamic brake control in the Shoreliners.
You can't do that from the Genesis cab either, so what point are you making? P32ACDM has blended brakes.
  by Fan Railer

RearOfSignal wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
You can't do that from the Genesis cab either, so what point are you making? P32ACDM has blended brakes.
I was under the impression that the throttle in the Genesis cab is a "combined" power / brake controller, with dynamic braking notches if you push the controller forward (away from your body) and power notches if you pull back (towards your body). Correct me if I am wrong in this instance, but that is how, in general, the throttle controls are set up in a locomotive with a desktop control panel.
http://imagestorage.nerail.org/photos/2 ... 310765.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by runningwithscalpels

Fan Railer wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
I was under the impression that the throttle in the Genesis cab is a "combined" power / brake controller, with dynamic braking notches if you push the controller forward (away from your body) and power notches if you pull back (towards your body). Correct me if I am wrong in this instance, but that is how, in general, the throttle controls are set up in a locomotive with a desktop control panel.
http://imagestorage.nerail.org/photos/2 ... 310765.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Isn't that a P32 cab? o_O

Anyhoo, DRN runs the things, I would hope he knows what he's talking about!
  by RearOfSignal

Fan Railer wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
Not on the P32ACDM the dynamics are setup slightly different than other locomotives partially because of the duel mode capabilities.
  by DutchRailnut

The P32acdm does not have dynamic brakes, it has blended brakes, a air function using dynamic brake in conjuncture with air brakes.
there is no control for dynamic brakes other than brake pipe pressure.
  by Fan Railer

RearOfSignal wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
Not on the P32ACDM the dynamics are setup slightly different than other locomotives partially because of the duel mode capabilities.
Good to know. Thank you.
  by Penn Central

Fan Railer wrote:I was under the impression that the throttle in the Genesis cab is a "combined" power / brake controller, with dynamic braking notches if you push the controller forward (away from your body) and power notches if you pull back (towards your body). Correct me if I am wrong in this instance, but that is how, in general, the throttle controls are set up in a locomotive with a desktop control panel.
The throttle is for engine power only. There is no separate dynamic braking. The engine is equipped for blended dynamic braking when in diesel mode. In electric mode, the blended brake is disabled as the dynamic brake resistors are used as part of the electric propulsion circuit. The FL9AC did have blended dynamic brakes in electric mode. They were designed to provide gap protection to the HEP in GCT. A great idea that never worked very well.

by amtrakhogger

Amtrak P32ACDM's have dynamic brake as well as blended brake in diesel mode, but like MN P32's, they have only air brakes in electric mode.
  by ATK

Penn Central wrote:In electric mode, the blended brake is disabled as the dynamic brake resistors are used as part of the electric propulsion circuit.
This is incorrect. It is certainly true that blended (or dynamic) brake is disabled when the locomotive is in electric mode, however an AC propulsion locomotive has no use for grid resistors as part of motoring in electric mode. The traction inverters of the Genesis locomotive are connected to the 3rd rail by way of the 3rd circuit breaker and two line filter reactors. GE made no provisions to allow for dynamic (or blended) braking when operating in electric mode.
  by DutchRailnut

on P32acdm the brake inverter is used as step up inverter during third rail mode.
a AC locomotive does not feed direct of 700 volt third rail it feeds of a 1400 volt DC circuit fed by the Brake inverter.
  by ATK

Also incorrect. Boost choppers take power from the DC bus and raise the voltage to 1400VDC for (DC link) continuous input to HEP inverter. Boost choppers are needed regardless of whether the locomotive is running in diesel mode or electric. DC bus gets power from either the 3rd rail or traction alternator via the rectifiers. DC bus then in turn feeds traction inverters and boost choppers. Grid choppers are used exclusively for the purpose of dynamic (and blended) braking or self load testing, and only when the locomotive is operating in diesel mode.