• P&W operations in Gardner and Groton?

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

by Otto Vondrak

oibu wrote:- When does P&W typically run on the line to Gardner?

- When are the most likely times to find P&W running around Groton?
  by Finch

When I worked at the Thames River Bridge last summer the most predictable P&W train came west in the late morning, perhaps between 10:00AM and 11:00AM. I had some of these times written down, I may have gotten rid of that scrap of paper, sorry. I think the train symbol was NA-1 or something of the sort. Typically this train would wait at the Groton wye for clearance onto the NEC, then follow a westbound Amtrak train across the bridge. It would interchange with another P&W train in Old Saybrook.

Less well-documented on paper or in my memory (but verified by a couple time-stamped photos), I think an eastbound P&W train would often cross the bridge into Groton in the late afternoon, say between 3:00PM and 4:00PM.

Just keep in mind that P&W is jockeying for position with numerous Amtrak trains, so they can only pass through the Groton wye at certain times. So check an Amtrak schedule to get an idea of this. They might follow an Amtrak train closely, but they sure as heck aren't going to get in front of one.