Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Crabman1130

trainspot wrote:I heard it was badly rusted and had to be scrapped. Anyone?
They just did work on it. I'm sure it's OK
  by trainspot

Crabman1130 wrote:They just did work on it. I'm sure it's OK
Great! Why you should never trust rumors!
  by MADDOG

Unfortunately, the rumor about the observation car is true. We had no choice but to scrap the car. When it was moved from Camp Tanglewood to Mitchel Field, we noticed the roof shifting a bit. When the unit needeed to be re-positioned to start the evaluation, the side walls started to buckle badly and there seemed no way to preserve the unit, so we made the decision, albeit it tough one, to dismantle it for safety sake. We had previously removed anything of value, measured and photographed the unit so in the future, as money and time was right, we could build an accurate example and display it alongside the Alco.
MADDOG
  by trainspot

Sorry to hear that. What was the origin of the obs.?
  by Lirr168

Tim, what's the year on your photo at Tanglewood? It could just be my fuzzy memory, but I recall seeing the cab when I was a little kid (early 90s) and I seem to remember it as being just a generic red color and not the Goodfellow variant in your photo.
  by trainspot

Kyle,
1986 I'm guessing? And it was painted a dark red with white-ish yellow stripe.
Small world, one of the owners of Tanglewood was the girls gym teacher at my elementary school!
  by MADDOG

Trainspot-We really do not have the origin of the Obs car except that I can truly state for the record it was an ex-prr car. We did find PRR markings on the steel but no indication of the car #. BTW- If you look closely at the photo can you see that the circles of steel on the railing of the obs have an image?
My eyes aren't the greatest but the image appears to be that of dashing dan!
Also, for the record, when we received the diesel from Tanglewood, we found the side sheets in deplorable condition. No offense to the camp owners, BUT whenever a major rust spot or hole opened up on the side sheets, someone put a piece of plywood over it! This only served to further the deterioration of the steel. You cannot imagine how much rust was shoveled out of the interrior under the floor sheets which were all rotted through. You can now understand how it took almot 10 years of volunteer hours during Saturdays to finish this unit up AND we still have about 100 hours of finishing to get it spot on. This will occur in Oyster Bay over the 1st half of 2009.
Thanks for all of the interest and keep up on our progress at:
http://www.obrm.org.
Better yet, why not join us as a member and lend a hand?
LIRR 168- We have photos dating back to when the cars arrived at Tanglewood in 1966 and they appear to always have had the maroon-ish red color with a yellow-ish "goodfellow" swwop to it. While stripping the paint inside, we came across 15 layers of paint in many spots including the original NH Green.
MADDOG
  by MADDOG

WOW! My eyes really stink-Trainspot, your photo is a LOT older than you think it is.
If you look closely at the photo you will see that the Obs Car is still in the Worlds Fair Scheme and still has the fabric trim hanging along the roof line above ther railing. This only lasted into the 1972-1973 camp season. After that Summer, the cab & Obs Car was repainted. I lived about 8 miles away and drove by it maybe 5-6 times every week since it was received in teh camp. Some of my friends attended the camp during the summers from 1967-1975 when I was a kid.
MADDOG
  by trainspot

MADDOG- You're probably right, come to think of it, no date on the photo, and I probably was shooting B&W around 1975 (high school) come to think of it! I probably biked there to shoot it too, so it would have to be 1975 or earlier.
  by MADDOG

Trainspot, did you attend Malverne or Lynbrook High?
I lived over the border in Rosedale Queens and traveled through the area almost everyday. Especially when I started restoring LIRR steam loco #35 in Mitchel Field.
MADDOG
  by Lirr168

Thanks for the info on the cab, guys. I can't wait to see the finished product!
  by trainspot

MADDOG wrote:Trainspot, did you attend Malverne or Lynbrook High?
I lived over the border in Rosedale Queens and traveled through the area almost everyday. Especially when I started restoring LIRR steam loco #35 in Mitchel Field.
MADDOG
No, Baldwin. I lived in Lynbrook in 1986-87, which is why I thought the photo was from then, but I obviously biked when I was in high school. I must have done that print in the darkroom, hence the sepia effect!
  by nyandw

For those who will not be attending the work session in Oyster Bay this Saturday, and may be looking for something to do with the family:

There will be a reception showcasing the artwork of Lou Mallard on Sat April 4th 1 -4 PM at the Hicksville Public Library 169 Jerusalem Ave Hicksville NY 11801. Sponsored by the LI Sunrise Trail Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society. Dave Morrision LIST
  by MADDOG

This thread is for the discussion of news and activities related to the operation of the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum in Oyster Bay, New York.

Official Site: http://www.oysterbayrailroadmuseum.org/

All:
Since the weather is preventing us from continual work on the equipment, we have decided to close the display yard at the OBRM until the spring.
HOWEVER, we will have the Museum preview center open on Saturdays. There will be a few new displays added over the winter.
Come on down!!
MADDOG