• Owego & Harford Railway Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ebtmikado

I passed through Oswego in October, and saw the station and yard of the Oswego-Harford.
A friend used to be affiliated here when the Tioga Central trains operated on the line.

I would like to know the operating patterns on the line for my next trip.
Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lee Carlson
  by lvrr325

Oswego is north of Syracuse by about 30 miles.

Owego is west of Binghamton where the same folks who own the Lehigh Railway operate a former LV branch to North Harford, NY.

The Tioga Central operation now runs out of Tioga County, PA on the Wellsboro & Corning.
  by ebtmikado

Sorry. I meant Owego. Don't know where the S came from.

But do you have any information on operating times/patterns?

Lee
  by Clif

Actually the end of track is in Harford NY, and those tank cars are probably JPG tank cars from the Empire Gas distributorship about 1/2 mile from end of track.

There is a siding for tank car emptying there.

Ariel View.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Owego ... 58824ba249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by thebigham

^In the one street view of Oct. 2015, the rails are paved over at the Rt. 221 which is why I said that was the end of track.

Google Street View said that it was Dryden.

If you look at Google Maps, it's Hardford. lol
  by TB Diamond

End-of-track was originally at a point between Rt. 221 and Daisy Hollow Road (128A). The track between Dryden and this end-of-track was abandoned on January 15, 1979 and dismantled later that year.
  by johnpbarlow

Is the O&H still hauling propane to Harford? Last time I was down that way in the past year, I didn't see any tank cars at Owego or Harford. Perhaps it's seasonal? Thanks.
  by Matt Langworthy

The gas dealer got a connection to a major pipeline, so most of the the gas traffic on the O&H dried up. The O&H goes up to Harford just a couple times per month now.
  by SteelRail

Last I knew, the northern end of the line was right at Rt 221 in Harford. Is this where the section of rail is being removed?
  by johnpbarlow

SteelRail wrote:Last I knew, the northern end of the line was right at Rt 221 in Harford. Is this where the section of rail is being removed?
As in this Google street view picture of October 2015:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.428218, ... 312!8i6656

It's interesting there appears to be no skate retarder or pile of ties to keep the flammable tank cars from rolling off the end of track.