• Osgood Bradley Passenger Car Paint Schemes

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Ed Bulman

As I understand it, by the time the New Haven was absorbed into the Penn Central, not all of the Osgood Bradley cars had been repainted into the McGinnis red and black scheme.

Does anyone know which cars (and in which paint schemes) survived until 1/01/69 in the non-McGinnis paint?

Many thanks!

Ed Bulman
  by Tom Curtin

The next NHRHTA Shoreliner will contain a major research piece that should give a car-by-car breakdiwn of what had what paint schemes. Stay tuned . . . .
  by 3rdrail

My memory of the New Haven in the Boston area was that at the time of the merger that most coaches remaining were the fluted stainless coaches along with the similiarly shopped RDC's. Very occasionally, you would see a coach in Halloween colors, and even rarer was one found in green. In this photo, you can see a bulk of McGinnis orange/black in Dover Street Yard. Most of these coaches were never to see passengers again, and this was 1965. If you look in the distance towards the Fort Point Channel, you'll see an old green coach. That Shoreliner issue sounds great. It may prompt a new member. (Anyone know what accident this RDC was in ?)
http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?2 ... e&BOOL=ALL
  by Otto Vondrak

by eddiebehr

I just had 778 mostly b & w and a few Kodacolor negatives converted to digital by a local photo shop (at a very reasonable price). There are at least two American Flyer coaches that were still in the green scheme in the late 1960s or so. One was on the heavyweight Stoughton job at Canton Jct. (with #526 as motive power) and the other was at Franklin. One has lettering above windows other has it below windows. No script logo. I'll get the numbers some other time.
  by chnhrr

Otto Vondrak wrote:I wish I purchased a set of these when they were available...

http://www.rapidotrains.com/schemes_ho/nh1.html

http://www.rapidotrains.com/schemes_ho/nh2.html

http://www.rapidotrains.com/schemes_ho/nh3.html

http://www.rapidotrains.com/schemes_ho/nh4.html
Otto – don’t bother

I ordered five 1954 series cars from First Place Hobbies months ago and they still haven’t come in. Rapido is taking forever on this. I don’t know what is going on.
  by Otto Vondrak

chnhrr wrote:I ordered five 1954 series cars from First Place Hobbies months ago and they still haven’t come in. Rapido is taking forever on this. I don’t know what is going on.
Rapido is a reputable company and I wouldn't worry there. They have to rely on suppliers to meet a schedule. Rapido's owner is also notorious for releasing the best possible product he can. He once junked and re-ran an entire production of sleepers because the shade of paint was too dark for a particular prototype.
  by fordhamroad

-I saw the HO coaches last summer at Hartford, and again at the Springfield show. MY they are nice. I kept urging him to do at least one or two schemes in N scale, but we'll have to wait much longer for that. It may be possible, they have done smaller versions before. These are usually one run cars, but try them again, might be some extras or cancellations. Or they nay appear at inflated prices on the Bay.

Roger
  by TomNelligan

I'm afraid I have neither specific numbers nor a count, but there were enough 8200-series coaches still in pre-McGinnis green in West End commuter service in the late 1960s that they weren't particularly rare.
  by chnhrr

Otto Vondrak wrote:
chnhrr wrote:I ordered five 1954 series cars from First Place Hobbies months ago and they still haven’t come in. Rapido is taking forever on this. I don’t know what is going on.
Rapido is a reputable company and I wouldn't worry there. They have to rely on suppliers to meet a schedule. Rapido's owner is also notorious for releasing the best possible product he can. He once junked and re-ran an entire production of sleepers because the shade of paint was too dark for a particular prototype.
Otto

I finally received the Osgood Bradley coaches from Rapido and they are super. They beat the more expensive brass versions that I have seen at model train shows. In an email to the firm today I suggested that Rapido may want to consider a production run of 4400 series MU “Washboards”. Maybe if enough of us email the firm with this request, it could become a possibility.

Chuck