• Operations East of Waterville

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by riffian

The SJWA/WASJ pair operate three days a week according to reports from both fans and the Panam newsletter. Are these the only two trains operating on the mainline east of Waterville?
  by KSmitty

NMED/EDNM or whatever they may be running as now (PONM/NMPO?) run to NMJ and there are a few trains out of NMJ to serve the mill in Bucksport, or others on the "main" north of Bangor/Hermon. OT-1 seems to come to mind as a more recent symbol running on the line up there. I asked about this myself a few weeks ago --> http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 55&t=84870 <-- and was told WASJ/SJWA are the only "road trains" that operate the length of the line from NMJ to Mattawamkeag while locals make trips up the line as far as needed to serve customers. Also, you have the SAPPI jobs that work to Hinckley, a local on the line to N. Anson, if they still have any customers and sporadic service down the old low road to Augusta for the 1 or 2 remaining customers there. While most of the Waterville locals work west of the yard, they all terminate @ Waterville.
  by necr3849

The "flavor of the week" symbol for Waterville to NMJ is actually WABK/BKWA as of this week. BK-1 is the mill switcher that does mornings at Bucksport. Two jobs, depending on day, operate out of Old Town as OT-1 or OT-2. Last I knew, the actual NMJ switcher is NM-1. I think they run daily except Saturday, but things change. Like already said, WASJ/SJWA is the only train that can normally highball NMJ if it has the time(not often). However, like a couple Saturdays back, SJWA actually switched Old Town instead of the OT job. So, typical PAR with "whoever is around does the work" mentality.

MD-1 does the Madison Branch, and SAPPI jobs do the Hinckley Branch.
  by KSmitty

Just wondering, but isn't BK the town designator for Bucksport? Making WABK/BKWA a bit of an odd choice for NMWA/WANM?

Is BK-1 still the common symbol on the Bucksport Branch to the mill?
  by necr3849

Yeah. it's weird. Last year there was WANM/NMWA. Before that, EDNM all the way here and NMED back. They change the symbols like the weather. I heard the BKWA on duty yesterday when D1 called the recrew at Detroit. Along with WASJ/SJWA, I'm sure any symbols can move cars to/from Bucksport trains.

BK-1 has been strictly the mill job that stays in Bucksport with the single switcher loco. BA-1 would come on to run the real train between Bucksport and NMJ with the true block of power. I haven't actually heard what a departing train from Bucksport is called lately. Now you have WABK. Seems like most days have a run down from NMJ and back when they do go. Maybe once...twice a week, a road job will leave from Bucksport. It's been anything but predictable. I guess whatever crew comes on is the deciding factor. What does appear to be going on is the trains are bigger lately.
  by KSmitty

Thanks Much,
Bigger trains outta Bucksport makes sense, Newpy reported that the mill wanted to ship more out on rail, just needed service to mach increased carloadings...
  by necr3849

Yesterday's string of cars at Verso stretched down to the last usable switch west of Harborview. There were even more cars on what I call the Weber Tank sidings that remain out to where the tankers come in. I'm hoping that PAR can get its act together and provide the service(s) this mill needs. Otherwise, they won't wait around before giving the business to the truckers.