• Open windows

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Matthew Mitchell

Three times the past week, I've been on Silverliner V trains where the little window at the head end across from the cab has been open. Anyone know why this is being done?
  by roadmaster

Did they close the windows yet?
  by South Jersey Budd

The window latches are breaking already. Some won't open, some don't close or stay closed.

The cab door hardware is also breaking, trapping engineers, conductors and car inspectors in the cab until someone can use a key to open the door from the coach area.
  by dcipjr

I've been on trains where we hit a bump and the window slides open, and won't latch closed. Actually having the fresh air can be nice.
  by Head-end View

Sounds like great quality construction.........
  by NorthPennLimited

Lowest. bid.
  by ExCon90

There was also some political influence brought to bear. They'll be built in Pennsylvania and provide jobs in Pennsylvania! And we can cut the ribbon in Philadelphia! Who cares whether they work right?
  by South Jersey Budd

ExCon90 wrote:There was also some political influence brought to bear. They'll be built in Pennsylvania and provide jobs in Pennsylvania! And we can cut the ribbon in Philadelphia! Who cares whether they work right?
That is why I'm afraid the SEPTA Multi-levels will be built by the same builder.
  by Head-end View

Well maybe by the time that contract takes place, the builder will have learned something from their Boston experience.......at least I hope so. Their contract with MBTA almost got cancelled in mid-stream due to poor quality and workmanship.
  by zebrasepta

Head-end View wrote:Well maybe by the time that contract takes place, the builder will have learned something from their Boston experience.......at least I hope so. Their contract with MBTA almost got cancelled in mid-stream due to poor quality and workmanship.
I doubt SEPTA will choose Hyundai Rotem again for multilevels if they bid since the SL V's to me seem to be of low quality build too and look at the delays with the V's too
  by bikentransit

Rotem junk won't last 20 years.
  by ChemiosMurphy

bikentransit wrote:Rotem junk won't last 20 years.
We're almost a quarter of the way there and they seem fine. Have many blown traction motors or had any major traction issues besides cosmetic things like latches?

The overall experience for riders is a huge improvement over the former and existing fleet. I still have yet to ride in one that has non functional AC in the summer.
  by wagz

ChemiosMurphy wrote:
bikentransit wrote:Rotem junk won't last 20 years.
We're almost a quarter of the way there and they seem fine. Have many blown traction motors or had any major traction issues besides cosmetic things like latches?

The overall experience for riders is a huge improvement over the former and existing fleet. I still have yet to ride in one that has non functional AC in the summer.
Granted, but right now Metrolink is likely regretting dealing with Rotem. For some reason (I think due to sub-standard welding, something SEPTA's SVs had issues with) Metrolink's Rotem cab cars aren't meeting crash standards after a derailment a year or so ago. So now all of their Rotem cab cars aren't allowed to lead as cab cars, prompting them to enter a lease program with BNSF to replace the cab cars. So many (all?) trains now have a BNSF locomotive in front of the cab car at least until Metrolink's new locomotives on order arrive. But even then I haven't heard of any plan to get the cab cars leading again.