• OOS UNITS/ UNITS RETURNED TO SERVICE.....

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by ANDY117

According to my source, all units going to Dansville will be repainted.

by oibu

Ok, so I guess there was techincially a "251 plus" engine, but I still don't know of any units running around north America with an actual, as-built "251 plus" engine. The QCM units have rebuilt 251Fs, incorporating 251 Plus components, but I am not aware of the blocks themselves ever being replaced with the "251 plus" version. As far as I'm concerned, if the block is the same it's still a "modified 251F" engine regardless of what else was changed over to the 251 Plus components. I'm not sure on the QCM units what engine components they retrofitted other than the pistons, which are definitely "251 Plus", and I believe the heads.

by Alcoman

Unconfirmed, but it is believed that the CN HR616's were built with the 251 plus engine as well as Hitachi electrical systems.

by The Man

I can tell you for a fact Walter was looking hard for alco's. I even looked at one for them. The requerments for the nysw alco's are DB, 4 axle, 26L ab, A/T. So that means they will all be 1964 and up. Most likly you will see C-420's as they tipicly had all the NYSW wants on a unit. Plus there are other C's out there. VLIX has 4 or 5 C-420's. I could see NYSW taking VLIX 2064 and the 632. One EX LV and the other LHR. Ed would never let go of the L&N one but those two I could see him letting go for the right amount.

JJ

by Steve F45

why does he want alco's so bad?

by scottychaos

The Man wrote:I can tell you for a fact Walter was looking hard for alco's. I even looked at one for them. The requerments for the nysw alco's are DB, 4 axle, 26L ab, A/T. So that means they will all be 1964 and up. Most likly you will see C-420's as they tipicly had all the NYSW wants on a unit. Plus there are other C's out there. VLIX has 4 or 5 C-420's. I could see NYSW taking VLIX 2064 and the 632. One EX LV and the other LHR. Ed would never let go of the L&N one but those two I could see him letting go for the right amount.

JJ
I know the 2064 is privately owned, and so probably could be sold to NYSW, but I also have her listed as:

"She is now owned by a private individual, and is being operated and
maintained by the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum,
in Knoxville, Tennessee."

So wouldnt the museum have a say in this matter?
do they have a lease arrangement with the owner?

As much as I would like to see a LV C420 operating in NY state, (and a D&H C420 back in Binghamton!) I would much prefer she stay with a museum, even if she isnt *officially* preserved with that museum yet..

(VLIX 2064 is LV 408/D&H 408)

Scot

by ANDY117

First photo of the newly christened NYSW 2300 U23B!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=150419

I like the black S on the nose. Nice touch. This was the BDLX 2214.

by Steve F45

definitely a nice touch. i like how they are lettering and numbering them good. Not just slopping on nysw and a #.

by Marty Feldner

An ex-L&HR C-420, running on what's left of the L&HR?

What a concept!!!

by bystander

Wasn't there a Steel co. C-420 in NJ? Hav ethey looked at that one?

by GOLDEN-ARM

ANDY117 wrote:First photo of the newly christened NYSW 2300 U23B!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=150419

I like the black S on the nose. Nice touch. This was the BDLX 2214.
Are you certain this is a U23B? Kinda looks like a B-23-7, what with nthe flared radiator, and those trucks...........

by ANDY117

I don't know what it is. I know it's a 23, and that's it!

by keiffer

It's a B23-7. They also have a U23B runing around I don't know if NYS&W plans on purchasing that unit as well. :wink:

by lhrfan

If the C-420 rumor is true, I'll be the first call Mr. Rich asking that the former L&HR unit be repainted into the original scheme. (Of course, if I win the Lottery, I'll buy it and one from A&M and the Batten Kill RS-3!)

Bill T

by lvrr325

scottychaos wrote: I know the 2064 is privately owned, and so probably could be sold to NYSW, but I also have her listed as:

"She is now owned by a private individual, and is being operated and
maintained by the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum,
in Knoxville, Tennessee."

So wouldnt the museum have a say in this matter?
do they have a lease arrangement with the owner?

As much as I would like to see a LV C420 operating in NY state, (and a D&H C420 back in Binghamton!) I would much prefer she stay with a museum, even if she isnt *officially* preserved with that museum yet..

(VLIX 2064 is LV 408/D&H 408)

Scot
JJ knows what he's talking about.

The 2064 was sold to Ed Bowers when the CNY Locomotive company was dissolved, along with an ex-LIRR high-hood C420 that was not operable. I know enough about that situation to know details I can't post on a publid website, but suffice to say CNY Loco was the same people who are principles in the CNY Chapter NRHS ("DL&W" 807-808, etc.).

I was able to tour that unit when it was on lease to the Adarondack Scenic, too.

Most leases have opt-out provisions for the owner or other ways they can be broken or changed.

I am rather surprised to see the NYS&W buying GE's again, given they have a somewhat limited parts support, and they become roster oddballs - the price must be right on them and there must be some life left in them. I figure a B23 let go by the P&W had to have major issues, though, even with a surplus they'd let the least desireable units go first. Of course, BDLX/people involved with BDLX are involved in the whole repair company operating out of Utica, so..

Odds are if you see units going up and down the NYS&W like Finger Lakes and the like, they're enroute to Utica. I believe the FGLK has leased one of the former P&W U23B's if not bought it (or just had it as a loner while one of their other units was repaired).