Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Paul

Hi Joe. This is the one thats 18" across.
Excuse the flash hot spots.Also note the the word "SPECIAL" will be in red.
This is one on my truck and out here it gets well over 115º during the summer. It is about three years old.

by JoeLIRR

Damm, Thats sweet.

makes me want one even more :wink:

by Richard Glueck

Beautiful decal. Wouldn't you love to see that on the back of some fast-flying train, headed for the south fork?

by JoeLIRR

Beautiful decal. Wouldn't you love to see that on the back of some fast-flying train, headed for the south fork?
It would be beautiful on a train on the sout fork.
hey this october marks 50 years of no steam on the LIRR
this is the last chance to make a merical hapen and get one of the engines running and then for shits n giggles one can where that decale w/pride for her long gone sister #21
unfortunatly we live in a to political society that is useless in RR preseveration.
if hell freeses over by next Oct. then maby well see that immage once again grace the rails of the LIRR. :wink:

by Paul

Never say never.
Old Buddist though is if you go into a situation with a negative thought, then negative things will happen. For instance: 1, LIRR 35 still exists. 2, LIRR 35 has pulled the Sunrise Special. 2. LIRR 21's tender still exists, behind 35. 3, There are enough ex-PRR heavy weight cars around (all you need is a B-60b and five or six heavy weights) to "re-create" the Sunrise Special of the past. To be accurate it would need to go to Greenport.
There is still hope yet. Life is good. :P

by Dave Keller

Paul:

You meant to say, it would have to come from Montauk, right?

The Sunrise Special was a Montauk train (train #19 in the 1930s), which went up the Manorville branch at Eastport and headed west via the Main Line.

It then changed equipment at Jamaica and was pulled the rest of the way by DD1. Image

This is the "Sunrise Special" heading west thru L. I. City in 1937.

Dave Keller

by Paul

I always thought it was Greenport. Oh well. Montauk gets all the goodies. Would you believe I have never been there? I stand with head bowed low, hanging it in shame.

by JoeLIRR

Paul, running a "sunrise Speical" today, or next october having a replica end of steam ceremoney can very much happen and is worth it, not only for railfnas but publicity. othere then the infamous "were charging u more and cutting your service"

any thing is possible, if this were NS/CSX/CP/UP just to name a few. it I can almost garunet it would happen, but the fact is that were the infamous "LIRR" were ran by a trubble plauged political buracracy that could care less if there is even a mile of rail on long island.

LIRR= a 170 yr old lady suffering from alztimers, and has no one left to care for her, shes been left in the hands of people who can care less and want to rid it of it missery.

to put iceing on the cake, LIRR railfans seem to have lost intrest because of POLITICS and this absolutly useless way of running a railroad. a MTA is for city mass transet. the LIRR is not a subway and will not be a subway and should be ran like a real railorad. not taking the brunt of state government.