• Oldest Rail Still in Use

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by poppyl

Someone might want to check out the rail between Himrod and Penn Yan on the old PRR Northern Division (now Finger Lakes) or what is left of the line north of Penn Yan.

Poppyl
  by K4Pacific

1926 110lb. That was the last major track overhaul strengthening rails and bridges for the decapods. Then gates and signals in the mid to late 30s where needed.
  by RussNelson

Can anybody beat 60lb October 1887? If not, I think we have a winner! I'm speculating on the weight since it's not on the web. It's definitely a smaller rail than the 70lb rail. It's the middle track going into the Ogdensburg and New York engine house. The second one is --Cambria-- 70lb rail dated 1907. It's found on the outer tracks going into the engine house. The former mainline of the Norwood and St. Lawrence is Lackawanna 80lb dated 1914 (no photo). All of it is still in use.

Scranton Steel merged with Lackawanna Iron and Coal Company to become Lackawanna Iron and Steel Company. I found a web page with pictures of LOTS of old rails that calls "11 '87" a November 1887 milling. So I think "my" rail is older by a month.
Photo_092009_002.jpg
Photo_092009_004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by K4Pacific

Great find Russ. Is the rail still in use? The rust looked "dead". The rail must be in use. But, I think you are the winner. I'll stop this on Friday night whenm I'll have a prize from my friends at the radio station for the winner.
  by RussNelson

Well that's a good question. Yes, it's pretty rusty, but the railroad only has one engine house, and this is one of three lead tracks into it. No, it's not going to see many cars per day. In fact, I fully expect that it's never seen any cars, going into an engine house as it does.
  by Otto Vondrak

Hey, if the engine still rolls over that rail to get to and from the NYOG enginehouse, I'll give Russ the prize! :-) Nice find!
  by Mr.Starr

What about the remnants of these railroads R.W.&O.RR and the NC RR -NORTHERN CENTRAL-,EX-Erie NEE A.&G.W.RR/ N.Y.P &O trackage ? If I am not mistaken The NY&LE RR and BUFFALO SOUTHERN RR is running on Former Erie RR EX- BUFFALO & SOUTHWESTERN RR NEE -BUFFALO and JAMESTOWN RR trackage from BUFFALO, NY To GOWANDA,NY the N.Y.&L.E.RR runs from WATERBORO,NY ,CATTARAUGUS,NY GOWANDA,NY,I believe that the BUFFALO and SOUTHWESTERN RR Nee- BUFFALO and JAMESTOWN RR was built to a gauge of 6 feet0 inches the B.&S.W. RR eventually leased to the N.Y.L.E. & W.RR which ended up as Erie RR then EL. However I could be mistaken and I'll admit to this mistake..
  by Flat-Wheeler

I've walked most of the NYLE trackage through Persia and Cattaraugus, and parts around Gowanda. However, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, prompting me to notice the raildates.
  by RussNelson

Mr.Starr wrote:What about the remnants of these railroads ....
I think the topic is intended to be about the oldest rails still in use, not the oldest railroads still in use. As in "what's the oldest datestamp you've ever seen on the web of a rail?"
  by pablo

Tom typically does this, where he adds information that isn't relevant to the situation.

I've walked from Waterboro to almost Conewango Valley, and I don't think I saw anything unusual, although perhaps the siding at Conewago Valley or around the area might be old.

Dave Becker
  by airman00

I love old rails! :-)
  by n2xjk

The Trolley Museum of New York has a section of in-street track that it runs over, some of it is girder rail with single-point switches. Being that it's bricked in, can't see the date codes (if there are any left that can be seen). It's possible that some of this rail dates from the horsecar era (1850-1890). At some point, maybe as soon as next year, this section of track will be dug up and rebuilt in order to support electric operation. It will be interesting to see if any datecodes are found on this when its pulled up.
  by Otto Vondrak

n2xjk wrote:The Trolley Museum of New York has a section of in-street track that it runs over, some of it is girder rail with single-point switches. Being that it's bricked in, can't see the date codes (if there are any left that can be seen). It's possible that some of this rail dates from the horsecar era (1850-1890). At some point, maybe as soon as next year, this section of track will be dug up and rebuilt in order to support electric operation. It will be interesting to see if any datecodes are found on this when its pulled up.
Was this actual Kingston trolley track or the Ulster & Delaware's freight sidings serving the warehouses?
  by n2xjk

As best I can determine, the West Strand horsecar line and the U&D shared use of this track on Ferry St. until horsecars were discontinued. The electric trolleys used separate track.