• Old System Maps

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by BostonUrbEx

Does anyone have any old Guilford/Pan Am system maps they'd like to share? I've especially been trying to find a Guilford map back when Guilford owned the D&H, but I've had no luck!
  by MEC407

I think there might be a D&H-era system map in the Scott Hartley book Guilford: Five Years of Change. I can't remember for sure, but it's worth borrowing from the library even if there isn't a map in it.
  by BostonUrbEx

MEC407 wrote:I think there might be a D&H-era system map in the Scott Hartley book Guilford: Five Years of Change. I can't remember for sure, but it's worth borrowing from the library even if there isn't a map in it.
Sounds like an interesting book no matter what's inside! Just curious how many libraries have it though -- have you found it at a particular library somewhere?

Also, to clarify about the map, I'm only looking for a digital copy or scan or image of a system map. I got a couple responses by private message that thought I was looking for a hard copy. At this time I'm not interested in a hard copy, or I'd offer some monetary compensation. :)
  by MEC407

In Maine, the majority of the public and college libraries are linked electronically, so you basically have almost every library in the state at your fingertips, and there's no charge for it either. I think there are probably six or seven libraries in Maine that have this book. None of them are near me but I've been able to borrow the book several times in the past just by going onto my local library's web site and "ordering" it. They email me a few days later when it's ready for me to pick up.

I'm not sure if MA has a similar system but I'd be shocked if they didn't. I'm certain there must be at least a few libraries in MA who have a copy.
  by deathtopumpkins

MEC407 wrote:In Maine, the majority of the public and college libraries are linked electronically, so you basically have almost every library in the state at your fingertips, and there's no charge for it either. I think there are probably six or seven libraries in Maine that have this book. None of them are near me but I've been able to borrow the book several times in the past just by going onto my local library's web site and "ordering" it. They email me a few days later when it's ready for me to pick up.

I'm not sure if MA has a similar system but I'd be shocked if they didn't. I'm certain there must be at least a few libraries in MA who have a copy.
Interlibrary loan is essentially worldwide. When I worked for a library in Boston we handled ILL books from all over the place. Generally when you search your local library's website, you can search either the local catalog, or everything at other libraries too (usually through worldcat). I'm sure you could easily find a copy, and I'm sure your local library would be happy to help you find it.