• Old Pictures Of Utica, Rome, Oneida

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Hello, I am looking for old pictures of Utica/Union, Rome, and Oneida stations. I am particularly interested in photos that are pre-1970 of the platforms at Union Station. I have seen many postcards of the interior and front exterior, but not many actual photographs of the station platforms or "subway tunnel." Also looking for older photos not postcards of Rome Station and platform(s), as well as any photographs taken in Oneida of the NYC (pre-alignment), West Shore, or O&W ROW's. Or any pictures of bridges, stations etc. within a 20mile radius of the city of Oneida. Thanks-Mike
  by brockwaythemusician

There is some information and pictures in a couple books that could help you with the Oneida area:

Remembering the New York Ontario and Western Railway: Oswego to Sydney and Branches by John Taibi. Try pages 115-183 for information on stations within 20 miles of Oneida. Plenty of pictures and maps of floor plans in some of the stations. There is also information that can help on Rome and Utica in the book too.

If you're ever in the Oneida area the railroad grade is still visable between Oneida and Vernon to the north side of Route 5 and the Sherrill depot is still intact. There is also an old (possible NYC) bridge on the old right of way in downtown Oneida behind National Grid.

I'm not sure how much "within 20 miles of Oneida" you want but this book is dedicated to the ROW between Oneida and Sylvan Beach:

When the Railroads Went to the Beach by John Taibi and Bruce Tracy
  by westshore94706

Regards Utica's Union Station someone had the intelligence to takea picture of the subway - these views are from the Union Station 1979 Historic Structure Report. These images scanned from the 8.5x11 format report; files reduced from original 11 meg scan.

Now can anyone help me find images of Utica yards - New York Central and Lackawanna, in the same era - 1920 to 1949? I'm interested in Lackawanna roundhouse and the yards adjacent, NYC roundhouse at east end of their yard, complex of tracks at Washington street and photographs that generally depict this area at the zenith of operations.

Best,

J
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by jurtz

John Taibi published a photo essay of the railroads in the city of Oneida. It mostly represents the O&W, but there are photos of the NY Central, the West Shore and NYS Electric Railway track and structures. It is available on the O&W RHS web site http://www.owrhs.org (Northern Division Bridge & Building Department), though you will need to be able to access the members only portion of the web site to see it.
  by westshore94706

Mike - You are Welcome.

Jeremy - The pictures are scanned from the "Union Station Historic Structures Report", issued by the Oneida County Department of Planning, address Oneida county Office Building, 800 Park Ave, Utica, NY. The booklet also has the logo of the Landmarks Society of Greater Utica on the acknowledgments page. I received the book in 1978 or thereabouts. Don't know if this book is still available - suggest checking the Landmarks Society web page.

James
  by O-6-O

Having grown up on the southside of Oneida 1/4 mile from Shore' I got to know it pretty well.. Spent many an hour up there watching the action, getting to know the crews, and the occasional cab visit. RS3's were the most common power back them and I still have a fondness for them today. I used to run my mini-bike on the old O&W road bed which ran behind my house. I saw the last train that ever ran on the O&W as my dad took me down there when the rip train came thru Oneida in 1958. I never was a camera buff and kick myself that I never photographed trains back then. My vivid memories will have to suffice. Would love to see what you are able to dig up.
  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Thanks for all the response guys. Great pics of Union Station. Anyone have any info on the platforms? Dates? I know there are pictures on railpictures.net and RRpicture archives.net of the station platforms in the 70's and early 80‘s. Looks like only 3 remained at that time with only two in use. I also have a great photo that I found on ebay from the 1950's era of a train passing through. I'm not sure if I can post it or not. It is not really watermarked and can’t be copyrighted as the seller did not even know that it was Union Station. It is a very clear color photo, but he did mark it with the letters OSP so you'd have to buy it instead of saving it to your computer. I'd like to believe that it stands for "One Stupid Person." I saved it anyway, so If anyone knows if I can post it, please let me know. It is a great photo and want to share.

0-6-0-The railroads were long gone by the time I was a kid. I vaguely recall walking on the W.S. bridge that crossed main street with my father when I was about 4 yo. It wasn't much longer that it was removed when a tuck got stuck under it. Mr. Taibi was kind enough to share some of the Oneida pictures with me and I have seen quite a few pictures in his books of the surrounding area. I'd really like to see some pictures of the railroads in Oneida during their decline (1960's-1980's). Can anyone tell me about rail traffic/buisness/abandoment/removal during this timeframe. I know the NYC tracks were re-aligned around 1965, but remember reading that the main street track(s) weren’t removed until 1981. I know the O&W was abandoned in March of '57, but a siding did remain for quite some time after to serve local businesses. Can anyone expand on this? Also, was wondering when the last train went through Oneida on the West Shore. I think I read somewhere that it was in 1982 and the tracks were removed in '84? Is this information correct? Thanks-Mike

Here’s a couple pics I've found. The first one is the NYC Oneida Frieght House. I think the street in the distance is Williams? Second is a photo that I found posted on Flickr a while back of Union Station in 1952 I believe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by tree68

Anybody got a picture of the old ticket windows - in use - at Union Station? I put up a brief monograph there about railroad ticket windows, but a picture of the spot where people stand to read it would be quite useful.