Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by braves

How much of the old Hudson Terminal station is left today & does anyone have pictures on what it looks like today?

by Irish Chieftain

Nothing above ground of the old Hudson Terminal exists—it was all demolished and replaced with the WTC. There are below-ground remnants; the old tracks and platforms are underneath the former WTC and survived the collapse of the twin towers. There was talk back in late 2001 of re-using the old platform space if it was feasible to do so to get the PATH back into Manhattan faster; but the PANYNJ decided to use its own money to reconstruct the "new" PATH WTC station instead.

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/hudterm.html
http://www.nycsubway.org/nyc/path/path-wtcbuild.html

by Idiot Railfan

When I drove a messenger van back around 1980-81, I frequently delivered to the WTC. To get to the WTC loading dock, you drove through a portion of the PATH-H&M tubes. In fact, part of the truck unloading area consisted of part of the station, I believe. It was pretty need driving through the very tunnel I had ridden a train through years before!
  by Rich T

Immediately leaving the tunnel at the present WTC station a section of original "tube" is visible high up on the bathtub wall.

by Gilbert B Norman

May I recommend;

Droege: "Passenger Terminals and Trains' (LCN 68-58723) for additional Hudson Terminal description.

This is a 1916 work, but Kalmbach offered a 1969 reprint; try the bookseller sites or possibly your local Library.

In the meantime, perhaps this site will be of help:
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/cx/?id=100646

by Terrapin Station

Idiot Railfan wrote:When I drove a messenger van back around 1980-81, I frequently delivered to the WTC. To get to the WTC loading dock, you drove through a portion of the PATH-H&M tubes. In fact, part of the truck unloading area consisted of part of the station, I believe. It was pretty need driving through the very tunnel I had ridden a train through years before!
Could you explain more how this worked? How did you enter the H&M tube? Which tube was it, inbound or outbound? Or both, because the tube is only one lane wide? I've seen the photo of the van in side the tube.

by Idiot Railfan

IIRC, the freight entrance was off Vesey Street, near West Street. That brought you to the loading docks for the the north Tower and No. 5 WTC (The Customs House). To go to South Tower or the other buildings, you continued and then made left into what woud have been the north tube, heading back to NJ. (You would be going opposite the train direction. It was one way.) You'd circle through the former station platform area, which had been converted into a loading dock, then continue as the tunnel turned to the right, and arrive at the South Tower loading dock (which was a new structure). From there you would leave the tube and complete the circle through a new tunnel and exit back to Vesey Street.

This is a 25-year-old recollection, but I believe it is reasonably accurate.

by arrow

Yes, that is the way it was arranged. I am very interested in all the ramps of the former WTC and how everything came together to work so well. That ramp (Ramp "J") did in fact go through the old H&M tube that originally went out to NJ. THe loading dock for the SE Plaza building was in the track level of the H&M station.

All of it still exists today, although just outside the PATH tube the ramp abruptly ends after making a sharp turn and starting to head upward toward the street. The loading dock is still very much intact as are both tubes leading west.