• Oil Trains (RJMA / MARJ, OI-x, etc)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by CN9634

Light work has been started at Mattawamkeag.
  by pnolette

According to the Guilford Rail Sightings list there is an oil train on the way.Looks like there back!
  by necr3849

A decent sized work train was in Mattawamkeag this past weekend. Quite a bit of ballast work has been done, but man that mainline is still woeful.
  by fromway

Just saw picture of a long line of Oil Cans being pulled through Pittsburgh PA on NS. They were very pretty. My guess is they are being sent directly to Philadelphia.
  by fogg1703

Did this past weeks unit train get split up in Waterville or was it kept intact other than the foreign power removed?
  by necr3849

Empty crude was through Northern Maine Junction late this morning with 509 leading followed by 374+345+307+340+507. A block of maybe 10-12 regular freights and a spacer led a string of maybe 80 empties. Didn't actually count the total.
  by KSmitty

Anyone have the foreign power numbers and marks off the last oil train through D1? I think it went to Waterville about a week ago, maybe on 5/5?
Trying to keep a list of the foriegn oil power on D1 and I missed this one...
  by joshg1

Possible non-sequitur- the expansion of oil pipelines in the '40s and '50s cut off a growing traffic source from the railroads. As did natural gas replacing manufactured-from-coal gas. It's good to see some of that traffic coming back.
  by gokeefe

joshg1 wrote:Possible non-sequitur- the expansion of oil pipelines in the '40s and '50s cut off a growing traffic source from the railroads. As did natural gas replacing manufactured-from-coal gas. It's good to see some of that traffic coming back.
Indeed and based on the production variables for shale oil it's expected to continue to use rail in high volumes for decades to come.
  by markhb

KSmitty wrote:Anyone have the foreign power numbers and marks off the last oil train through D1? I think it went to Waterville about a week ago, maybe on 5/5?
Trying to keep a list of the foriegn oil power on D1 and I missed this one...
5/5 was today :)

One was parked in Portland for a good chunk of the evening after the accident; I didn't see the power, though.
  by KSmitty

Oops. I meant 5/2...
  by pnolette

I've read on another list Irving may be cutting back on buying Bakkan oil because of pricing.Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks
  by BM6569

Empty oil will be into Rigby soon.
  by fromway

Has anyone seen any oil moving anywhere? Very little chatter. Is the price of oil that high that Irving is not buying?
  by gokeefe

fromway wrote:Has anyone seen any oil moving anywhere? Very little chatter. Is the price of oil that high that Irving is not buying?
The real question might be whether or not they're still moving large volumes over the MMA. If that's the case then this could be a railroad specific issue.