• Officials want train service into Cape May

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Douglas John Bowen

Jtgshu's very thoughtful reply deals with the realities (and, to be sure, limitations) any company or management must deal with. To that end, it's entirely rational to submit that the Cape May Branch is not, and perhaps should not be, a current high priority for New Jersey Transit's care.

We at NJ-ARP, moreover, freely acknowledge that in our "high beta" take on the matter, we can and do push political buttons to subjugate or thwart (or, for the cynical, subvert) a nuts-and-bolts economic decision-making process. We do so in part because while the risks are high, the potential rewards are equally great for the state of New Jersey.

But those risks are indeed high, as Jtgshu notes by speculating on a "tourist" railroad's desire to be a passenger entity in a role that (in Jtgshu's view, and that of many others) NJ Transit should play. NJ-ARP suspects that such belief (or fear), regardless of its merit, is what has hindered and hampered passenger rail progress of any kind in southern New Jersey.

For whatever reason(s), access to the Atlantic City Line from any Cape May Branch passenger operator is not, repeat not, on the table now, or in the immediate future. Jtgshu, with a few others, is honest and upfront enough to acknowledge that concern publicly--and even open enough to discuss them with groups such as NJ-ARP; we hope we've been equally forthright with him. Others have chosen ... other means of voicing their concerns.

by northjerseybuff

if NJT owns the line, why would they allow another railroad to use it, i would think the unions would want NJT crews to service the line..heard this years ago was an issue, and the "broken" bridge wasn't really broken, but a reason to not run the trains, when the union matter really is at hand here!

by CJPat

Kind of in-line with what Jtgshu has said, In my view, NJT has demonstrated that they do not really care for other entities to run real pax service in NJ. Just look how they left the NYS&W passenger service idea to wither on the vine as well as the other "measures" that prevented Jimmy Wilson from re-establishing the small passenger service (wasn't it suppose to be on the old boonton line? - I apologize if I got the names on that wrong, its been quite a while since I read of it).

by northjerseybuff

I think the line is valuable, and should be used..seasonaly? maybe memorial day-labor day and some weekends. I envision transfers on runs in Hammonton to philly or AC. Couldn't this guy get a small business loan or something to assist his efforts? if not NJT should simply sell it outright. NJT keeps this line, yet sells off its ROW on the cutoff and line to pburg..what is the reason for holding on to it?
  by Douglas John Bowen

NJ-ARP will vouch that the Cape May Canal Bridge was damaged and inoperable -- in a word, broken. That was not a fabrication on anyone's part, whatever anyone may have "heard," and--ironically enough--NJ Transit committed modest funding, along with money from other sources, to help repair the bridge.

We can't speak for any unions re: their involvement with the Cape May Canal Bridge, but NJ-ARP didn't see or hear of any official union activity regarding same, on any level, pro or con.

We hope that blasts away one canard that appears to be floating around out there.

by rrbluesman

It took what, two years before hey got the canal bridge fixed, right? I thought the issue with the unions had something to do with the possibility of the potential of CMSL interchanging at a station on the AC line- I can't say I now very much about it though.

by prsl7668

rrbluesman wrote:It took what, two years before hey got the canal bridge fixed, right? I thought the issue with the unions had something to do with the possibility of the potential of CMSL interchanging at a station on the AC line- I can't say I now very much about it though.
Will never happen anytime in the near future so nothing for the unions to worry about.

by Ken W2KB

northjerseybuff wrote:if NJT owns the line, why would they allow another railroad to use it, i would think the unions would want NJT crews to service the line..heard this years ago was an issue, and the "broken" bridge wasn't really broken, but a reason to not run the trains, when the union matter really is at hand here!
The Hudson Bergen Light Rail is owned by NJT but operated and maintained by a third party and not by NJT or its employees as I understand it. The concept is not disimilar to the Cape May proposal. The merits of such arrangements can be argued both ways, as this thread illustrates.