• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VRR) - 2009

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by shadyjay

superwarp1 wrote:I forgot something. What about vandalism? Ever been a issue in Essex? I hope not
Only act of vandalism I recall in my time there was the decapitated choir boys on the NYNH&H flat car ..... they looked funny lit up like that but IIRC they were found in 103's tender. Also around that time, the house and the church in the meadow got a new coat of paint, from the paint that was stored inside one of them. :P

Fortunetely that's all I've heard, not including anything happening in the museum yard, army siding, or the south yard. For years the Maine Central boxcar at Deep River had graffiti, but that occured prior to its arrival on the VRR and for quite some time, the side visible from the road was repainted, leaving some choice words and graphics in plain view of the train passengers. It was later rectified.
  by kitn1mcc

the only other real big vandalizm has been metal thefts of copper. there are plenty of cops and other who ride thru there at odd hours
  by Brendan

Last year the friends redid the interior of the caboose, and it was planned for paint this year, but the purchase of 3025, has put that on the back burner for two years. the friends will be dedicating much of there time in the coming years to that project, so that it can be steaming by 2011. Then we will be doing steel work and painting the outside of the caboose, most likely putting it back in original paint. after that, we will be focusing on #2. but We do hope to have #2 looking some what respectable by this spring. of course there is the ongoing track work and clearing of the line to up keep as well, these are ambitious goals for are small group so if you what to volunteer or donate it would be much appreciated.
  by BiggAW

I saw #2 last night- such a cute little loco! It won't be restored to operating condition for a while, but hopefully it will be eventually!

CVRA7: If a shed was put in Saybrook, wouldn't that mean a lot of non-revenue moves to move locomotives and equipment between Essex and there? Sure, someone would probably volunteer to run 0900 on the moves, but that would still chomp through some diesel (used french fry oil in 0900 anyone? :D ). For medium term storage (more than a week), it might make sense though to get them out of the weather.

The distinction between #2 and 3025/58/1658 is that 3025 is for commercial revenue service by the Valley Railroad Company, and has to be operational by around 2013 (the railroad's goal is 2011, and nothing like that is ever on time, so hopefully its ready for the last run of 2011 to meet the goal :) ) in order to replace #40 which will go out of service then and #97 will still be out of service, as it needs a major overhaul.

#2 was bought by the friends for preservation, and if time/money allows, it will become operational at some point in the future. I don't know if the legal/insurance would allow the FVRR's loco to be in commercial revenue service, but #2 could "pull" a passenger train with some "help" from 88 Ton GE 0900 or 80 Ton GE 0901, although that's not in any plans now, as its not terribly practical.

I'm not sure you'd want #2 pulling the train on its own, as loading a historic loco heavily puts heavy and fast wear and tear on it, although 6 cars in the summer might be doable. Forget about Christmas trains alone, but it would do well with a helper to alleviate the siding length issue and run pull-pull.

A few years back, there was a fire caused by arson in Saybrook, but it was the RMNE equipment, not VRR that was burned.

Brendan, What's the "original paint"? Isn't it in that gorgeous "classic caboose" red right now?

Alex W.
  by Otto Vondrak

BiggAW wrote:CVRA7: If a shed was put in Saybrook, wouldn't that mean a lot of non-revenue moves to move locomotives and equipment between Essex and there?
You're not thinking fourth-dimensionally. The "increased" wear and tear and fuel usage for "shop moves" would be a negligible trade-off for having the equipment under cover.

-otto-
  by Seeknay

With all the loco's the VRR/FVRR now has it is too bad there is not a ideal structure for storage. From reading posts and the Engine House Blog is it re-assuring to a railfan/steamfan they are 100% committed to operating/restoring/maintaining the three steamers rather than spending cash on a structure which would dramatically set back maintenance for the three. Possibly in the future 10-15+ yrs such a plan can be developed to build such an engine/maintanence house. I'd much prefer to have the three loco's running and blue tarps, rather than one loco, and a engine/maint. house with no staff. Off topic a bit.......how did RMNE fund thier new engine/maint. house?
  by kitn1mcc

leaveing them outside does not really do to much to hurt them they are tarped and covered
  by atsf sp

The Valley railroad won't let anything they own get in too bad of condition in terms of engines they are using. Tarps keep it from the lements. Maybe a little snow around the wheels, but if it is tied down, the boiler shouldn't be hurt. They survived in the old days, and engines on modern lines survive to.
  by boatsmate

I remember Nilda and Her family, she always took care of the Train crews bring there lunch or supper out to them as they passed by (as long as you remembered to order it before you left) I enjoyed working for Barry also, I learned alot that year I will never forget. Is Kenny still married to there daughter??

Capt bill <<< Former VRR Fireman
  by CVRA7

boatsmate wrote:I remember Nilda and Her family, she always took care of the Train crews bring there lunch or supper out to them as they passed by (as long as you remembered to order it before you left) I enjoyed working for Barry also, I learned alot that year I will never forget. Is Kenny still married to there daughter??

Capt bill <<< Former VRR Fireman
Believe so, Wilbur!
  by Mikejf

While a tarp might be a solution for the short tem, long term storage with a tarp for protection might do more harm than good. It might keep moisture out, but it also keeps it in. Wood actually rots faster when covered with a tarp than if left to the elements. I would think steel would be the same. A quick coat of primer has been the method of choice and left un tarped for display. I know this engine will be restored quickly so this is of no concern to them, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Mike
  by Brendan

As much as we would love to have at building to put are engines in, it's not high on the budget list. and it's not a big concern ether. Engines that are in use, like 97 and 40 don't sit for long in one place so having at tarp on them for 3 months or less from the time there out shopped in late January to end of winter is not a big deal. as far as 3025, it will be going in the shop soon, probably in the next month or less. and number 2 is already painted with a two part epoxy type paint, that will last a long time. Perhaps by the time we need to paint her again we will have the money to steam her up. but if anyone wants to donate the money to build an engine house we would love that.
  by BiggAW

Otto Vondrak wrote: You're not thinking fourth-dimensionally. The "increased" wear and tear and fuel usage for "shop moves" would be a negligible trade-off for having the equipment under cover.

-otto-
Fourth-dimensionally? Anyways, it would likely make sense for equipment that is in long term storage... but the regular train would only be shedded about half the year, as it wouldn't make sense to put it there at night... Although if you could keep much of the snow and ice off it would likely help...
Brendan wrote: but if anyone wants to donate the money to build an engine house we would love that.
Well said haha. :)
  by Brendan

the Valley RR will be running some winter trains this year! they will be feb. 14 and 15th at 1 and 3pm from Essex
what is really cool about these trains is that they will be making ALL local stops to pick up and drop off passengers. stations stops will be at Essex, Deepriver, Chester and Haddam. so one could take the train from Haddam to Essex and back to Haddam or just Chester to Deepriver and back, so for all of you locals or rare mialage seekers, this is a neat opportunity, check out this link.
http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/press/Ea ... y_2009.pdf