• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by shadyjay

There was a TIGER grant request for funding of the rehab of the entire 22 mile line from Saybrook Jct to Maromas / Middletown. Project included bringing the railroad up to a "state of good repair". When the grants were awarded, this one was not one of the ones that "made the cut".

Full details here:
http://www.ct.gov/recovery/lib/recovery ... _grant.pdf
  by daylight4449

shadyjay wrote:There was a TIGER grant request for funding of the rehab of the entire 22 mile line from Saybrook Jct to Maromas / Middletown. Project included bringing the railroad up to a "state of good repair". When the grants were awarded, this one was not one of the ones that "made the cut".

Full details here:
http://www.ct.gov/recovery/lib/recovery ... _grant.pdf
Well, they must be able to run trains over that portion of line. I've seen pics of the P&W excursion train in Essex, but could that have come through Old Saybrook?
  by shadyjay

The only interchange to the outside world is at Old Saybrook. There are 10 miles (or so) of unrestored track between just north of Goodspeed's in Haddam and Maromas in eastern Middletown. North of there, there are still 3 or 4 P&W miles that are I believe out of service, or were last time I was on that track.
  by Cosmo

shadyjay wrote:The only interchange to the outside world is at Old Saybrook. There are 10 miles (or so) of unrestored track between just north of Goodspeed's in Haddam and Maromas in eastern Middletown. North of there, there are still 3 or 4 P&W miles that are I believe out of service, or were last time I was on that track.
To add to this, the line North of Middletown that P&W serves is still the "Valley Line," but is obviously not serviced by the VRR. The tracks are serviceable from Middletown North all the way to Hartford, but are only used for about 8 mi or so to service (iirc,) a lumberyard up the line. There WAS service over this paart of the line from Middletown to Hartford a few years ago, but it has not been operated as a through route for some time.
(HINT: A good question to pose on the P&W forum on this site under "Shortlines" :wink:)
  by boatsmate

the tracks beyound GoodSpeed may be out of service but are far form unusable, the VRR has a very good group of volunteers who have kept the line open almost all the way to the Middleton (P&W) portion of the line. except for a large washout tht occured a year or so ago the line is accessable by track car. the Vol. are continuing to cut back the the brush along the line to standard widths.
  by Cosmo

boatsmate wrote:the tracks beyond Goodspeed may be out of service but are far form unusable, the VRR has a very good group of volunteers who have kept the line open almost all the way to the Middleton (P&W) portion of the line. except for a large washout that occurred a year or so ago the line is accessible by track car. the Vol. are continuing to cut back the the brush along the line to standard widths.
Hi Boats,
yes, the volunteers have kept things open for certain, however, there are a couple other "obstacles" besides the washout along the OOS portion of the line.
I believe the washout you reference actually happened back in '98. There was a more recent washout that happened on the active portion of the line in the area of "Broadway," just South of Goodspeeds which was repaired in record time. The one that exists between Haddam and Higganum is comparable to the recent washout on Metro North last month.
There is also the matter of Jane's Way "crossing," where what was formerly a bridge was replaced with about 20-30' high fill, thus making an effective wall across the tracks.
Closer to Goodspeed there is the marina, which, while leaving the path of the ROW clear, still has the rail heads covered with about 6" of stone dust and some paving.
So, in all fairness, I think it's more accurate to say the OOS ROW North of the marina is 90% accessible by track car only.
  by superwarp1

Great information everyone. Thanks for sharing. No run to Goodspeed the opening weekend. Wish they would do it more often.
  by workextra

How much of the "upper" portion of the railroad is accessible from the current end of operable track?
Are there many obstacles other then poor track condition that are preventing operation for a few more miles north?
I never been farther then the normal run goes.
Is the railroad waiting to see what that state does before the volunteers go to restore the track to operable condition if the state chooses not to revive the line for freight?
Providing a revenue freight ever did one day run the line, who would run it, the local freight carrier on trackage rights or the Valley?
Are there any current photos of the "upper" portion of the line?

I do enjoy the ride provided by the Valley any expansion would only benefit the operation.
  by Cosmo

workextra wrote:How much of the "upper" portion of the railroad is accessible from the current end of operable track?
About 2/3 mi.
Are there many obstacles other then poor track condition that are preventing operation for a few more miles north?
Yes, see my previous post.
I never been farther then the normal run goes.
Is the railroad waiting to see what that state does before the volunteers go to restore the track to operable condition if the state chooses not to revive the line for freight?/quote]
The volunteers maintain the "Northern Division" as best they can and are working to eventually restore as much of it as possible to operation, however, ties are expensive. More than a few spots that were previously damaged too badly even for track cars were restored over the past few years.
Providing a revenue freight ever did one day run the line, who would run it, the local freight carrier on trackage rights or the Valley?
Are there any current photos of the "upper" portion of the line?
I doubt we would know that unless it actually happens. Otherwise, it's anybody's guess.
I do enjoy the ride provided by the Valley any expansion would only benefit the operation.
  by workextra

Thanks for your reply,
When you guys replace ties, do you use new timber or used ties?
  by Cosmo

workextra wrote:Thanks for your reply,
It depends. For stuff North of Goodspeeds, used. For the active track, new.
  by daylight4449

Cosmo wrote:
workextra wrote:Thanks for your reply,
It depends. For stuff North of Goodspeeds, used. For the active track, new.
I assume that it comes down to not spending as much money that you have to on track that isn't normally used?
  by Mr rt

The Tiger application for $15.5M was one of several CT made to try & get some of that Federal money.
The freight carrier would have probably been P&W.
They would have used it to save some of the cost they incurr using portions of the Amtrak ROW.

What this application has done has woken up the NIMBYs in Haddam.
Recently there has been talk by them & the First Selectmen of Haddam about going "Rails to Trails".

The "Friends of Valley" are doing a good thing by quitely going up & down the ROW north of East Haddam keeping the line open ... well maybe not so quitely when they are running their chain saws :-)
  by workextra

Well, If not revenue freight service, The VRR should be able to restore and operate the upper portion of the line regardless of the NIMBYS. It's not like they are going to have Hazmat or freight running through if it's just used for the scenic purpose.
Rails-Trails is not a smart Idea when the line is not only passable but capable of being restored for scenic train use.
  by Mr rt

1. The State bought the ROW, but if you read the detail it doesn't say much about RxR use ... that's what the NIMBYs are hanging their hat on.
2. It is inlikely the Valley would use the line north of East Haddam for steam ... would put too much time on the steam clocks. They might run the dinner trains up there or an infrequent train with their diesels ... maybe to Middletown & back in the early spring before the the trees grow in.

So to me the NIMBYs don't have much to worry about, but the Tiger Application got them scared & it will take time for them to calm down. The problem is that many in the group are affluent & politically active. Me I'm just a poor slob who lives accross the river :-)