• Official "Maple Leaf" Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ctclark1

Just throwing it out there as a possibility. I'm no expert, and I didn't stay at a holiday inn last night...
  by Tom

Thanks for all the insider info. I'm feeling better about it now! As for why Rutland, Mr. R-Junkie, I've been along the lake to Montreal, and am looking for lines I've never ridden (my wife gave me this trip for my 60th b'day, and I decided to hit a lot of northeast "new mileage" before it's too late); Rutland fits the bill. And I really like that part of Vermont. BTW, this is part of a Memphis-Chicago-Detroit-Toronto-Rutland-Boston-Portland-Savannah loop.
Tom
  by ThirdRail7

Railjunkie wrote:CSX has that part of there operation down to a science.
They have it down to a science, alright! :P

I think I'm dating myself.
  by Railjunkie

Remember that one well, cars and hot girls what else would a growing boy want. Anyway the one thing CSX dosent really F up is there signal change overs. Paper straight rail and clear up. Generally traffic is kept at a minimum.
  by MACTRAXX

T: I am surprised that no one mentioned the potential of Train 64 being delayed at NFL during its US Customs inspection - and sometime these delays can be
a problem even with the large time allotment in the schedule (two hours?) for these to be completed...let alone CSX train congestion across NYS...
Hopefully this does not become a factor on the day you wish to travel...

MACTRAXX
  by ThirdRail7

MACTRAXX wrote:T: I am surprised that no one mentioned the potential of Train 64 being delayed at NFL during its US Customs inspection - and sometime these delays can be
a problem even with the large time allotment in the schedule (two hours?) for these to be completed...let alone CSX train congestion across NYS...
Hopefully this does not become a factor on the day you wish to travel...

MACTRAXX

Hmmm:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
Railjunkie wrote:The 849pm departure out of SDY should be ok. Especially with the new schedule. CSX generally runs there gangs on a Sunday through Thursday work week unless there is a major problem. This past summer I was generally 45min to an hour late on average, but that was on the old schedule. One other thing that may work in your favor is Amtrak should/may be starting its own track work from just south of Albany to Schenectady, not sure on the exact schedule whether it will be during the day or at night.
I know the OP mentioned the early summer, but I was thinking more of the dreaded CSX heat orders. If they are in effect from 1300 to 1900 and assuming there are no other issues( border patrol, bad signals etc) will 64 make it to SDY with enough time to intercept?

Yes..I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned either! :P

by MACTRAXX

TR7: US Border Patrol Agents rarely have anything to do with the inspection of Amtrak's Maple Leaf...

When I read "Border Patrol" it almost always refers to these officers that patrol the border frontiers themselves and do not screen entering travelers...

Inspecting trains entering the US is performed by two agencies: US Customs / Border Patrol officers and the Immigration / Naturalization Service (INS)

All three services are part of the US Customs and Border Patrol which is part of the US Bureau of Homeland Security...

This information should explain what the differences in these services are...

SEE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Custo ... der_Patrol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX
  by ThirdRail7

MACTRAXX wrote:TR7: US Border Patrol Agents rarely have anything to do with the inspection of Amtrak's Maple Leaf...

When I read "Border Patrol" it almost always refers to these officers that patrol the border frontiers themselves and do not screen entering travelers...

Inspecting trains entering the US is performed by two agencies: US Customs / Border Patrol officers and the Immigration / Naturalization Service (INS)

All three services are part of the US Customs and Border Patrol which is part of the US Bureau of Homeland Security...

This information should explain what the differences in these services are...

SEE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Custo ... der_Patrol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX
Almost only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes...and the Border Patrol...in addition to other agencies boards Amtrak trains....and removes passengers. I was trying to keep it short and sweet and I'm sure most people got the basic point.

But there's always one, usually two and probably three that don't. in that case, we use etc to cover everything else, like the inevitable engine trouble, grade crossing collision and whatever else plagues the empire trains.

I guess you read "bad signals" to mean signals that are unattractive, sell cigarettes to minors, and talk on their cell phones in the quiet car or something other to do with traffic and congestion, right? :P
  by MACTRAXX

TR7: Prior to 9/11 it was rare to see US Border Patrol agents on the Maple Leaf...I only recall one time seeing them at NFL: Back on one of my trips in the mid 80s I was traveling back to NYG from Toronto and I remember that passengers in the coach
I was in were wondering why the US Customs and Immigration check was taking abnormally long and it turns out that they were on the lookout for a "smuggler" on board our train...I remember two BP Agents helping in the search and later taking a 20-
something male into custody - the train crew later let us know what had happened...I remember also that it was one of the only times that my luggage was checked-a Customs Officer quickly looked inside briefly,thanked me and then moved on...

I now realize that 9/11 changed everything concerning how trains are inspected and the three agencies which were once separate: US Customs,INS and the Border Patrol would be merged under the name US Customs and Border Protection under
Homeland Security...and Border Patrol agents would become regular riders on some Amtrak trains which for the most part was never done in the past before 9/11...

I hopefully clarified myself here...and corrected my mistake...

Answering your bottom question: NO.

MACTRAXX
  by MACTRAXX

JT: NO - Train 63 west, 64 east uses both Amfleet One and Two car types.

Amfleet One - two coaches for shorter rides and a Food Service Car.
Amfleet Two - at least two coaches for longer distance riders - NYP-TOR is a example.
The usual consist is 5 or 6 cars for trains 63-64...

MACTRAXX
  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

When the Maple Leaf arrives at Toronto Union Station, how do they turn the Amtrak equipment to get it ready for it's return to the states? Is the entire trainset turned (where in Tornoto, precisely?) to keep it intact, or is the engine cut off, turned by itself (again, where?) and coupled to what was the rear of the inbound train?
  by Backshophoss

Believe VIA Rail's Toronto Maintenance Center handles basic running repairs,fueling and turning the Amtrak consist for the return trip.
As it is now,the Maple Leaf is considered a VIA train between the border and Toronto,handled by VIA T&E,OBS crews.
The train makes many stops in Canada.
Amtrak T&E,OBS crews take over at the border on the return trip to NY Penn.
The Cascades service,and the Adirondack are Amtrak T&E,OBS crews,with NO stops between the border and the terminal station in Canada.
VIA does the fueling turning and needed running repairs at their Maintenance centers there.
  by deathtopumpkins

Backshophoss wrote: The Cascades service,and the Adirondack are Amtrak T&E,OBS crews,with NO stops between the border and the terminal station in Canada.
Not entirely true. The Adirondack stops in St-Lambert before it gets to Montreal.

(not for much longer though - the train will begin skipping this stop once the preclearance facility at Gare Centrale opens and customs inspection moves there)