• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Otto Vondrak

CannaScrews wrote:Setting the train order mast at Thomaston Station.
Nice to see the train order signal going in at Thomaston!

-otto-
  by H.F.Malone

Stay tuned. It's going to be a busy year at the Naugy.
  by CannaScrews

The Thomaston Station had one in the same location. Just restoring the look. It will add colour to the joint

It's a museum thing.
  by H.F.Malone

Thomaston Station, July 23, 1931, looking southwest. Corner of freight house at left, roof of brick octagonal water tank is south of station.
Thomaston, July 23, 1931, track side of station.jpg
  by newpylong

That makes more sense thanks. I was thinking it had a utilitarian purpose which seemed weird to me.
  by Otto Vondrak

newpylong wrote:What do they need a train order signal for?
Because it's a museum? And putting the signal back helps restore the original look? Or was that too obvious?

I think people forget that the Naugatuck Railroad is an arm of the Railroad Museum of New England, and that establishing a museum is actually one of their goals.
  by bwparker1

There should be some freight activity for the new Transfer Station this month.
  by CannaScrews

Otto Vondrak wrote:
I think people forget that the Naugatuck Railroad is an arm of the Railroad Museum of New England, and that establishing a museum is actually one of their goals.
Actually, the railroad is a "necessary evil" to establishing a museum. It would've been much easier to establish a static museum like the RR Museum of PA or Cal State.

You divert major resources to two strips of steel in the ground which can otherwise be used in restoration and exhibits.

:P :P :P
  by gokeefe

Otto Vondrak wrote:
newpylong wrote:What do they need a train order signal for?
Because it's a museum? And putting the signal back helps restore the original look? Or was that too obvious?

I was just waiting for someone to say that the station would now be manned by a freight agent and that the telegraph wires would be going up soon. :-D
  by CannaScrews

The station, to my knowledge, never had a freight agent. The freight agent was across the tracks in the freight house, which succumbed to a snowfall in 1992 or 93, or 94. I forgot.
In the grand scheme of things, the plan is to put the freight track back & reconstruct a structure at the same location as the freight house.

Personally, I'd like to extend the freight track south into the Rt 8 embankment. Some of the ties are still there.
  by H.F.Malone

After the last NH RR passenger train came off, in Dec 1958, there was a freight agent assigned to Thomaston, working out of a small office in the old passenger station until the late 1960s. The job was half a day at Thomaston, and half a day at Naugatuck. I doubt the freight house office was useable by that time. Noel Weaver, do you know?