• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by H.F.Malone

GE 45-ton loco #42 has a new owner and a new home, west of the Hudson River. It was recently sold and now lives in Kingston, NY at the Catskill Mountain Railroad. Too small for 96% of NAUG's operating needs, so it was time for it to go on to a new life someplace else.
  by NaugyRR

Thanks for the answer!

Sounds like it's going to a good home. From the things I've heard and read, it seems like the group of people there do really good work, and hard work at that. It's a shame they have to deal with all the politics that's been going on.

I can appreciate the unit being too small for the operations, and it's been with the NAUG for a long time, so I wouldn't imagine it really owes anyone anything. I haven't even seen it move from the new shop yard in a while; it seems like 2203's been wearing a lot of different hats from switcher to work engine to it's regular duties, but that's never been anything new for it, haha.

Does 529 still run? That unit's always been one of my favorites, even more since it's still a pure ALCo.
  by H.F.Malone

NH 529 needs some wheel replacement; plans are to accomplish that work in the 2015 season.
  by bwparker1

It was over a year ago that a photo was posted somewhere about the possibility for the Naugatuck RR to provide freight service to a facility being built or recently completed north of Waterbury in Watertown, CT. I was just curious if that project had moved forward at all over the past year.

Facility is off Frost Bridge Rd, located to the North.

https://goo.gl/maps/V7kdd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by H.F.Malone

Work continues at the site, not much to report. Stay tuned.
  by oibu

This thread has been pretty quiet lately, but could anyone share what power has been on the trains recently, or what plans may be power-wise for the rest of the fall season? Any updates on the status of the 529? Thanks.
  by CannaScrews

NH 2019 is powering the train for the next few weeks whilst Naug 2203 gets its 92 day servicing.

A new crossing is being built in Waterbury to replace the old Commons Road crossing by next Spring. 900' of track was replaced for that project over the last 2 weeks.

529 is still awaiting re-wheeling - a few plans for its execution are being discussed (other than shipping it down to the DL in Scranton for the work).
  by FLRailFan1

H.F.Malone wrote:Work continues at the site, not much to report. Stay tuned.
A business for Naugatuck?? Nice...I'd love to see the U25 (2525) be the loco for freight..
  by H.F.Malone

NH 2525 is a 50-year old museum piece, not a supportable, sustainable freight locomotive. You will not see it powering revenue freight trains.
  by H.F.Malone

And 2019 looks much better now!
0927151558c (800x600).jpg
  by jaymac

To pick nits, probably closer to 50 years ago...
A century from now, the ditch lights and HEP/control boxes will be causing historians fits.