• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by CannaScrews

In honour of the All-star game:

Baby Boat -

No drips, no runs, no errors.

And a little sprucing up of the exterior visage.

Hallelujah!
  by shadyjay

Drove by the Saybrook yard yesterday. Doesn't appear to be much left there, just a couple cars, though I did see the PC RS-3 for the first time in years. CR 4601 is still pushed out at the north end of the yard. Is there still a move afoot to send it to the midwest? And whatever happened to 1109's sister, the PVRR SW-1 28? Did that already move to the Naugy or was it let go?
  by daylight4449

shadyjay wrote:Drove by the Saybrook yard yesterday. Doesn't appear to be much left there, just a couple cars, though I did see the PC RS-3 for the first time in years. CR 4601 is still pushed out at the north end of the yard. Is there still a move afoot to send it to the midwest? And whatever happened to 1109's sister, the PVRR SW-1 28? Did that already move to the Naugy or was it let go?
The Pioneer Valley SW1 got cut up last year for parts and whatnot... That much I do know.
  by shadyjay

daylight4449 wrote:The Pioneer Valley SW1 got cut up last year for parts and whatnot... That much I do know.
Wow.... really? Wasn't expecting that to happen, given its one of the oldest diesels in existence.

Given the number of RS-3s the RMNE has, I'm surprised they're holding on to the PC one... unless its for parts for the others.
  by daylight4449

shadyjay wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:The Pioneer Valley SW1 got cut up last year for parts and whatnot... That much I do know.
Wow.... really? Wasn't expecting that to happen, given its one of the oldest diesels in existence.

Given the number of RS-3s the RMNE has, I'm surprised they're holding on to the PC one... unless its for parts for the others.
Reading through their blog, the PC RS-3 (ex-Pennsy) is indeed a parts unit. The traction motors got pulled back in the 90s for 0401 (the FA). I don't know why RMNE cut it up. My best guess is that 1109 is in better shape... And it didn't have to get trucked out of Old Saybrook.
  by CannaScrews

The Pioneer Valley #28 was not in good shape vis-a-vis the B&M 1109.
While in Northamption awaiting its fate, the cab was broken in & trashed.

The 28 had it's electrical system updated and does not have the Allis-Chalmers glass-enclosed voltage regulator, etc. The 1109 is much more original and so was initially repainted to B&M colors because it was more original.

That 30 year paint job is getting a little worn in the teeth - time for another. Anyone has about $10K?, just send it down.
  by RonM

When RMNE acquired the SW-1s 27 & 28, why did the PVRR retain the 30 (B&M 1130)? I can't believe that much from an SW-1 was interchangeable with a CF-7. Several years later, the 30 was on a flatcar being shipped out to what I would have guessed scrap dealer 2002, 2003 timeframe. Not to nitpick, but wasn't the 27, 28, and RS-3 stored in Easthampton up to 1987? (sorry)

BTW, RS-3 557 is really looking good! It was featured twice... in the Alco Historical Society bulletin and in the latest Railpace! May she run again!!
  by oibu

Can someone explain to me what is actually going on with 557? Saw some recent pics, and the short hood end (which IIRC is actually 556's short hood as it was tranplanted to 557 during the Wolfeboro era following an incident) as of the time of thos epics was painted in what appeared to be amazingly preserved orginal MEC green and dulux gold that has been hiding under more recent paint all these years. WOW!

But most of the rest of the unit is in pretty fresh looking almost flourescent lime green.

So what is the actual story with the paint? What's new, what's old, what's getting replaced, whta's getting put on, what's comingoff? (and I do hope what I THINK is going on (which would be something that might require REAL historic preservation at least on film NOW (or perhaps earlier), rather than new shiny paint), ISN'T what's going on- although all evidence points that way; but will reserve judgement until I know the real story). Or if it's a case of, all is lost paint wise on the long hood but not on the short hood (which may be the case as a result of the short hood being transplanted from 556, which lasted til the end in it's original paint scheme (if not the original application)), has the preservation of that historic PAINT been considered as an alternative to full repainting? Or is it too late now?
  by CannaScrews

I think this post should be carried upward to http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There, you should find some guidance as to how the 557 project should proceed.
  by oibu

Did not find anything whatsoever related to the MEC 557 there^, inlcuding no results in any searches I tried.
  by CannaScrews

Just say what you are saying here .... there.
  by RonM

RE: 557

From the keyboard sidelines relating previous posts on RR.net and RYPN and ExtraBoard features (I am not speaking for the RMNE), it appears there is a dedicated team that is staying on top of 557. 557 is in original condition (brake, prime mover, etc). RMNE members are slowly repainting to MEC colors. There was an attempt to put "fresher oil" in the crankcase, but there is no draincock(?) to allow the old to drain out and a modification to add this feature is (was?) planned. (529 and 1508 DO have this) This is from a previous post. I also seem to remember the prime mover was turned over by bar as well. I ASSuME that 557 needs radiator and turbo work like most of her sisters that have survived. Efforts for operation fall after 529 and 1508 (again from previous posts). 557 is in a very loving home and I believe the team environment is a key of their success.

Would be real nice if RMNE/BSR/BKRR can salvage the Albany fiasco for parts.
  by oibu

I am aware of the ultimate goal of operation and some form of restoration or "restoration". My concerns are 1.) there is actual historic paint in not too bad condition that appears at risk of having some rustoleum or krylon slapped over it in the misguided name of "preservation", when there is a lot of historical value in that 40-60 year old (depending on the actual application date of that coat of paint) original paint and 2.) that while the application itself of the new paint looks great, the colors are almost a toylike mockery of MEC green and gold... again falling short of the "stated goal".

We see these things all the time in the preservation community, and when it's a subject that hits a bit closer to home you really just wish this time it might be different.
  by polishpunk75

OIBU, sorry the paint and preservation (not restoration) of MEC 557 is not up to par with your standards. In a perfect world we would all like to see every piece fully restored to as delivered condition to the minute detail. Unfortunately in the real world that's not always possible. Money-time-manpower(or woman power!) is always is short supply. What is not in short supply is the peanut gallery shouting out what should be done. If you want to see something restored please feel free to donate $$$$$ for the effort. Or, how about getting dirty and actually getting involved hands on(constructively).

I happen to personally know the individuals working very hard to help preserve the museums collection, including the 557. Without their efforts many historic pieces would now be long gone, falling to the scrappers torch. What would the alternative be? Not touch the unit at all? She is being preserved for future restoration. As are MANY pieces of equipment at RMNE. You will find most NOT-FOR-PROFIT all VOLUNTEER organizations faced with the same issues.