• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR) -2009

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by daylight4449

44 tonner wrote:Speaking of #404 and #409, I wish I had the coin to buy them, That would be cool, to use them as the notch engines, but one drawback, what about the FP-9's?
wait, U18Bs? CSRR is buying U18Bs!?
  by 44 tonner

44 tonner wrote:
Speaking of #404 and #409, I wish I had the coin to buy them, That would be cool, to use them as the notch engines, but one drawback, what about the FP-9's?

They are not buying the U18-B's, I was saying that I wish I could buy them.
  by atsf sp

44 tonner wrote:
44 tonner wrote:
Speaking of #404 and #409, I wish I had the coin to buy them, That would be cool, to use them as the notch engines, but one drawback, what about the FP-9's?

They are not buying the U18-B's, I was saying that I wish I could buy them.
And I was saying that GE's look good in Harvest Gold.
  by Dick H

There is a photo of the 44 tonner #360 here:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20090 ... 0&BOOL=ANY

In the captian under the photo, it states that the #360 is owned by the
State of NH. Can anyone confirm that this is the case, or is it owned
by the CSRR. The loco was at one time numbered #76 and was owned
by the state of NH and used by the North Stratford Railroad. I believe
that it served at some military installation prior to the North Stratford.
  by CSRR573

Do you have to be a member of the MBRRE group to get a ticket on for the steam in the snow?
  by BR4

CSR573: No, but it's cheaper if you are a member.

MEC U18B's had extended range dynamics. If working properly , they
would be ideal for the Notch.

Rumor has it that Harvest Gold is a popular idea around the CSRR, but
I think that's the old MEC guys, not sure where management stands.
  by b&m 1566

Dick H wrote:There is a photo of the 44 tonner #360 here:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20090 ... 0&BOOL=ANY

In the captian under the photo, it states that the #360 is owned by the
State of NH. Can anyone confirm that this is the case, or is it owned
by the CSRR. The loco was at one time numbered #76 and was owned
by the state of NH and used by the North Stratford Railroad. I believe
that it served at some military installation prior to the North Stratford.
In an email between me and Paul Hallet from a year or so ago, he did state the 360 was owned by the state and was for sale along with 15.
  by 44 tonner

Last night was fun, I have some video, just nee to find time to upload it, I also got a cabrider in 573, which I haven't seance I was 5 years old.
  by madcrow

The U18 might have some useful features "under the hood", but given that tourist railroads depend to a large extent on looks and streamlined locomotives like F-units have more popular appeal than the U-boats, wouldn't it be kind of silly to change from F units to U-boats?
  by 44 tonner

madcrow wrote:The U18 might have some useful features "under the hood", but given that tourist railroads depend to a large extent on looks and streamlined locomotives like F-units have more popular appeal than the U-boats, wouldn't it be kind of silly to change from F units to U-boats?
That is true, hmm, maybe, if they ever did, kinda like the steam freight, only with one unit, lol.
  by b&m 1566

I agree 100% about the look of an engine being important in this type of business; however the operating issue and the cost to run the notch train far outweighs the look of this train. Without dynamic breaks they are only getting about a week or two out of the brakes (that's what I've been told). It's costing them a lot of money, in supplies and man power and is putting a lot of wear and tear on the wheels as well; which I believe Paul has stated in the Wheel Report.
When I rode the notch train this past fall (as I do every year), I can honestly say it’s a rough ride down in coach when the breaks are applied (for non rail fans). The cars vibrate, it’s noisy and the smell is less to be desired. It’s nice when we get out of the notch and the breaks are released; there's no more, noise, burning break smell, and the cars stop vibrating.
A year or two ago, I overheard one of the train men talking to another patron about the dynamic breaking and if I heard correctly, back when the railroad opened the notch, they had the chance to pick up a pair of GP9's with dynamic breaking but choose the F's instead for the "look".
With that said, I just have to say, I'm still a big fan of the sisters and no matter the ride, smell or noise I can only hope the 1943 breaks down every time I buy a ticket for the notch train.
  by 44 tonner

b&m 1566 wrote:I agree 100% about the look of an engine being important in this type of business; however the operating issue and the cost to run the notch train far outweighs the look of this train. Without dynamic breaks they are only getting about a week or two out of the brakes (that's what I've been told). It's costing them a lot of money, in supplies and man power and is putting a lot of wear and tear on the wheels as well; which I believe Paul has stated in the Wheel Report.
When I rode the notch train this past fall (as I do every year), I can honestly say it’s a rough ride down in coach when the breaks are applied (for non rail fans). The cars vibrate, it’s noisy and the smell is less to be desired. It’s nice when we get out of the notch and the breaks are released; there's no more, noise, burning break smell, and the cars stop vibrating.
A year or two ago, I overheard one of the train men talking to another patron about the dynamic breaking and if I heard correctly, back when the railroad opened the notch, they had the chance to pick up a pair of GP9's with dynamic breaking but choose the F's instead for the "look".
With that said, I just have to say, I'm still a big fan of the sisters and no matter the ride, smell or noise I can only hope the 1943 breaks down every time I buy a ticket for the notch train.
Hmm, I noticed that, the breaks, but yeah, Well, you can only hope, some people love 1943, some, as you, dislike, it. I would perfer a GP, of an F, but, oh well, what ever costs less...
  by masscoastalfan

I think people will start to like it more once it gets repainted reguardless of what paint it gets. I didn't think much of the 2820 before it got repainted but I thought it looked pretty classy after the paint job. Also, if it saves the railroad moeny, I think that's more important. By not having to pay for extra breaks an such on the cars, they can have more money for other projects.
  by #7470

p42thedowneaster wrote:7470 is an exciting cab ride! If it's your first time, you'll have a whole new appreciation for it!
How do you get a cab ride?