• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR) -2009

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by b&m 1566

slrr1 wrote:I agree.. Bottom Line CSRX is a bit pricey, but they have good reason for it.. Now could we switch out of that topic?, so what are the current things CSRR is working on now?.. Will #15 ever run again?, and when is ex-conrail #23 due into Notch service?
15 could run again if they wanted it to but it’s for sale and they have shown no interest in it since it blew an engine in 2004. Yes it ran again in 2005 and pulled the CP Reed Car to Sawyers River but that was pretty much the last Hurrah for the engine on the Conway Scenic.
  by Otto Vondrak

Before we get upset about fewer days of operation of the 7470... remember that the new Federal rules say that steam locomotives can only have so many days of operation before they be taken out of service for a mandatory rebuild (down to the boiler). So every day the 7470 runs during the summer is one less day it can run in the future, and brings us closer to that Federal limit. Think the CSRR is looking forward to funding another Federally-mandated rebuild again so soon? They're trying to stretch out those days to put off the rebuild for as long as possible... good business sense, even if it ruffles the railfans.
  by bobbyzRd23456

It's a shame 15 will be leaving. I saw 15 as a symbol of CSRX since it was an original engine to the railroad. But You gotta do what you gotta do :( However on a better note I can't wait until The Hattie Evans dining car is complete, i might want to go up for it's first run!
  by #7470

Otto Vondrak wrote:remember that the new Federal rules say that steam locomotives can only have so many days of operation before they be taken out of service for a mandatory rebuild (down to the boiler). So every day the 7470 runs during the summer is one less day it can run in the future, and brings us closer to that Federal limit.
Otto, do you know what that federal limit is? Around how many years?
  by SilverLakeRailroad

So 15 is for sale for 27,000$? hmm, I will have to let the SLRR owner know.. As an artifact that has served the line for many years, it may make a nice museum piece. I thought CSRX didn't own 15?
  by shadyjay

#7470 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:remember that the new Federal rules say that steam locomotives can only have so many days of operation before they be taken out of service for a mandatory rebuild (down to the boiler). So every day the 7470 runs during the summer is one less day it can run in the future, and brings us closer to that Federal limit.

"Under Federal Railroad Administration rules(49CFR, part 230), each steam locomotive can operate no more than 1472 "service days" within a period of 15 calender years"

Source: http://theenginehouse.blogspot.com/2008 ... alley.html
  by atsf sp

shadyjay wrote:
#7470 wrote:

"Under Federal Railroad Administration rules(49CFR, part 230), each steam locomotive can operate no more than 1472 "service days" within a period of 15 calender years"

Source: http://theenginehouse.blogspot.com/2008 ... alley.html
That is the reason for MILW 261's rebuild this year. All steam engines have to do this. PM 1225 will be headed into its rebuild next year.
  by capecoddah1

Wow, how time flies. I thought Conway Scenic just rebuilt #7470. Great work Jay on the FRA rules. I can't wait for vacation next week. I'm coming up with the family and where might you locals suggest I stay? Any plain simple motels that don't cost no arm and a leg that's near the railroad yard? Do they have a program that I can pay them to run one of the engines? That'll do it for now. Thanks guys.

What time does the first train run?
  by SilverLakeRailroad

and that depends on where u are going... 5 hr. trip, 2 hr. trip, or 1 hr. trip, i believe the first train is to conway.. app. 1 hr
  by capecoddah1

Oh, wow! What days do they run that steam locomotive? That one is very big. My kids will love the steam trip. Is it loud? I hope so. I checked some of those motel prices and found them way to high. I can't afford that kind of money. Can't someone that knows that area come up with a place for me that my wife and 2 kids can stay at that won't cost a arm and a leg? I can't wait to ride behind 7470. My kids are going to love riding behind a steam locomotive.
  by SilverLakeRailroad

Sorry to break the ice, but 7470 will only be running during foliage season this year.
  by b&m 1566

slrr1 wrote:So 15 is for sale for 27,000$? hmm, I will have to let the SLRR owner know.. As an artifact that has served the line for many years, it may make a nice museum piece. I thought CSRX didn't own 15?
Engine 15 Corporation (or whatever it was called) owned the engines but folded a year or two ago. I was under the impression that the units were sold directly to the CSRX. All engines except for 7470 were leased to the CSRX excluding 2820 and 1943 as I believe those were bought by the railroad.
  by CSRR573

Can we please stop bashing CSRR aboutnot running 7470 or the price of a ticket, cuz reading alot of this is getting annoying.