• Official Bus thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by octr202

Fascinating. I'll be very curious to see how they do a low floor RTS (LFRTS?).

Mill. Transit's website doesn't offer a lot of clues as to what these would look like:

http://www.millenniumtransit.net/

by AznSumtinSumtin

I would assume low floor RTS's would look something like Novabus LFS buses. I would like a Novabus RTS with a side of small wheels.

Anyways, whats under the floor of a high floor bus? I'm guessing just HVAC because the Neoplans have their HVAC in the hump and the fuel tank is under the back.

by RailBus63

Click here for a photo of the Millennium low-floor RTS.

by MBTA1

This is a great day for me, an avid RTS supporter!, I wish we get a good fleet.

Although I'm not sure about low floors, might be a little weird.

by AznSumtinSumtin

I just don't like how the front looks. Looks old and Canadianish(not being racist or anything) but i would prefer something that looks more like the T's and New York MTA RTS's

by octr202

Those doors on the Millennium demo are gonna have to go. Doors that open that far out are gonna risk getting bashed at high curbs.

by RailBus63

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:I just don't like how the front looks. Looks old and Canadianish(not being racist or anything) but i would prefer something that looks more like the T's and New York MTA RTS's
You can't have the old RTS front-end on the low-floor model. Wheelchair positions will be in the lower section of the bus, so front-door access is required, but the old front doorway is too narrow.

Regarding those protruding front-doors - TMC and Nova have featured that on some of their RTS buses for almost 10 years and I haven't heard of any problems with doors being hit by curbs.

JD

CORRECTION - I looked at the photos of the low-floor demo again, and the back door does open into the lower section. My mistake - JD
Last edited by RailBus63 on Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by dudeursistershot

i think the Neoplans look a lot cooler and more modern...

what is RTS? and what is the difference between RTS buses and other buses?

by RailBus63

dudeursistershot wrote:i think the Neoplans look a lot cooler and more modern...

what is RTS? and what is the difference between RTS buses and other buses?
This is the RTS:

Image Image Image

by MBTA1

RTS stands for Rapid Transit Series.

It's a great bus, and very common in the United States, and Canada.

Up until 3 years ago (about), they made up the entire MBTA bus fleet.

by jwhite07

RTS fans, don't break out the cake and ice cream yet! Take another look at Jonathan Belcher's website!

I always did like the 6000s... I wonder if the diesel version will have as much acceleration as the CNGs do? :-)

by octr202

jwhite07 wrote:RTS fans, don't break out the cake and ice cream yet! Take another look at Jonathan Belcher's website!

I always did like the 6000s... I wonder if the diesel version will have as much acceleration as the CNGs do? :-)
Interesting. Is it just me, or does New Flyer seem to be doing a bit better than Neoplan and NABI at avoiding bad press and production problems? I know that NABI had a series of problems on at least one order for Chicago. Hopefully, then, we're finally getting one of the better builders on this one (if they don't find any more errors in the math anywhere!).

The New Flyer website lists only a Cummins option for engines in the diesel buses, while the CNG models have a choice of Cummins, DD, and John Deere powerplants. The T for DD's on the 6000's, so it looks like there may be a change...and I guess the T could spec something else altogether too.

by aline1969

The front end of that RTS looks like the ones that run in Dallas, I think they are ok. Different from the current T ones is good... one can tell the different generations and makes.

by octr202

aline1969 wrote:The front end of that RTS looks like the ones that run in Dallas, I think they are ok. Different from the current T ones is good... one can tell the different generations and makes.
Likewise, I found the CTA RTS's in Chicago to be a bit nicer than what the T operates, although they are also getting old. The front door wheelchair lifts make for a much wider front door, which is nice. I also like the CTA's push open rear exit doors...really speeds up stops.

by AznSumtinSumtin

Here's a topic that hasn't been touched in a while. The Kenmore Busway. Any updates on it? I haven't been to Kenmore since late August, and I'm planning to for another few months. Is it almost done?