Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by lstone19

Maybe I was hallucinating; maybe not. As my MD-W train departed CUS at 5:23 this evening, I looked right to see if the Empire Builder was in on Track 19. It was but at first, I couldn't tell because there was a train of what looked to be nine or ten Metra cars (I assume Metra, definitely not Amtrak Superliners) sitting on Track 17 extending all the way to Madison Street. Double and triple-checked the track. No power on the west end (no idea about the east end as there were trains between me and 17 until we cleared them).

So, what were they? Where did 339 (the 5:08) Hiawatha depart from (normally on 17)? Everything else seemed normal. No flashing numbers (signifying a track change) on the Metra departure board when I came down the stairs about 5:10.
  by Tadman

Perhaps this was a SWS deadhead coming in from Western Ave, waiting for a lineup to reach the south terminal? If there was no power on the west end, was there a cab car?
  by AMTKHawkeye

What you saw were four BNSF executive cars awaiting movement to Milwaukee on Amtrak 341 this evening. Amtrak 339 (and all others during the day) still used Track 17, unfortunately necessitating a longer walk for those customers.
  by lstone19

Tadman wrote:Perhaps this was a SWS deadhead coming in from Western Ave, waiting for a lineup to reach the south terminal? If there was no power on the west end, was there a cab car?
Not on 17. 17 is a stub track. Only 19 and 21 can get to 28 and 30 on the south side and with the EB on 19, the SWS trains move through on 21.