• O/T We're better than this, right? (Getting personal)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Mark Schweber

When I am attacked publicly I need to respond publicly (I have also sent you a private e-mail):

Irish,

First - I was not "chased" from the forum at nj.com. I continue to post regualrly. Yes, I had a heated back and forth with a conductor who I think was wrong. But, so what. We both expressed our opinion and when the time came moved on. I have posted subsequent to that time and when there is something I wish to comment on I will do so again. I just had to say this to counter your false impression. Basically, you lied about me and I do not appreciate that.

Second - It was Club Car who started the trouble by demanding that a thread that was proceeding fine and that was relevant be locked and I do not appreciate that you gave into his demands. Why should Club Car be able to do things but I can not respond?

I do not think that you can point out a situation where I STARTED trouble. However, when others are looking to start trouble I will not let things slip away without responding.

by Irish Chieftain

I do not think that you can point out a situation where I STARTED trouble
Attacks on my person are one good example. Regrettably, once you do something like that, it makes me respond in a personal manner.

Your comments on ClubCar are noted. I have contacted him privately already and I think that he will be quite ready to stand down with his aggression. So, sorry about being not so even-handed, but not about "getting personal" which I did not initiate.

Now, would everyone in the forum kindly refrain from personal attacks forthwith, and that includes casual insults of rails by railfans and vice-versa (and of course includes myself). I'm just the mod here; I don't want to turn into the bouncer, because that's a lot of work and turning up the heat may result in the whole forum being locked, and where's the fun in that? (Note that Subtalk was locked for excessive flame wars...we're better than that, right?)

by arrow

I find it completely incredible that the original topic was deleted. Why is it that we cannot post as we want, why can we not ask for opinions about things that we think about? I want to see what the opinions are regarding uniforms and people start shooting me down. Most everyone on that topic (including engineers) responded in a mature matter, I guess all it takes is one or two people and this is what it erupts into.

I am not a little kid and don't appreciate being treated as such, I don't need people who I don't know telling me what I can and cannot post. It's ashame that the 10% of the users here who don't want to debate about things they don't agree with have to cause so much trouble.

THANK YOU for deleting all that information that we had compiled in the first few pages of the original thread, nothing like going backwards!

GOODBYE!

by Irish Chieftain

Why is it that we cannot post as we want
As a mod, you ought to know that yourself.
I am not a little kid
In this post and others, you act like one. How is one to judge therefore?

Perhaps a re-evaluation of a mod's purpose is in order? because I am of the mind that treating the cause rather than just the symptoms is of greater effectiveness. (If the cause remains, then the symptoms recur.)

BTW, I visited the mod forum and found a link to the Forum Rules...and I've been darn liberal about enforcing them. (They also answer the question as to why "we" cannot post as "we want".) I'm not in the mood to turn into the "bad cop" over the rules, but if hotter heads wish to act on their hotness, then that's what they are up against.
Last edited by Irish Chieftain on Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Mark Schweber

The one thing I regret is attacking Irish in the first post on the second thread I started. I should not have included that and I appologize to him for that. It was gratuitus as he had not made any posts in the original thread. Other than that I have no regrets about anything I posted but am anxious and willing to move forward and let this little war die so I will refrain from any more comments in this area and urge other to do likewise.

by Irish Chieftain

Thanks, Mr. Schweber. Hopefully, the temper that is oft characteristic of my people will never again resurface :) (that is, in the near future and over the wrong circumstance)

by pdman

Great conversation, Guys!

I was worried that this super network of 1) expressing, 2) exchanging, and 3) learning about the industry and profession we all like was crashing down into a tabloid.

As to train nuts, I once saw a local West Virginia newspaper article about the excursion from Romney on the old B&O South Potomac Branch. It said it was dirty, dusty, noisy, and hot (it was a steam train). To a non-train buff, no explanation was possible. To the train buffs, no explanation was ever needed.

Let's keep the good spirit alive.

by Robert Paniagua

Irish Chieftain wrote:Thanks, Mr. Schweber. Hopefully, the temper that is oft characteristic of my people will never again resurface :) (that is, in the near future and over the wrong circumstance)
Yes, Mr. Schweber, especially from a Boston-Area Moderatour, I think you should improve in your behaviour here in this NJTR Forum. I do the NERailfan and MBTA Forums, and I make sure that none of this stuff similar to which you created at the last locked topic, stays. I kill it. I'm just as strict as Mr. GB Norman of the Amtrak Board.

by thebigc

arrow wrote:THANK YOU for deleting all that information that we had compiled in the first few pages of the original thread, nothing like going backwards!

GOODBYE!
I hope this is just a hiatus and not a finale, arrow. You always come up with lively threads!!!

by Irish Chieftain

Nobody can resist NJ once they have been infected. He'll be back.

by nick11a

thebigc wrote:
arrow wrote:THANK YOU for deleting all that information that we had compiled in the first few pages of the original thread, nothing like going backwards!

GOODBYE!
I hope this is just a hiatus and not a finale, arrow. You always come up with lively threads!!!
Yeah, I think he is just taking a break from here for a while. He e-mailed me a few days ago telling me he's leaving for now. He said he might come back after a while. Knowing him, I think he'll be back. And I've said this before and I'll say it again, I know arrow personally. Whenever we have free time (which is not that often) we try to go out and do some railfannin'. He is a good person who expresses his opinion and enjoys hot topics. He is not a childish person and is quite mature IMO. He is not unique in expressing opinions, many folks in here express their opinions no matter how non-comformist it might be seen.

And as for Irish, in my dealings with him on and off the board (Private Messages) I have found him to be quite fair. He is indeed a liberal mod compared to others. And I personally have been quite satisfied with him as Mod.

by JLo

I go on vacation and come back to find out that WWIII has broken out and been resolved, with a love fest replacing it. Sheesh.

I did enjoy a nice bike ride on the old Ocean City-AC traction ROW, however.