• NYSW to own CEFX leasors

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by waldwickrailfan

3040 is a GP40 not an SD40 right. i havent seen that engine in what seems like forever.
  by Steve F45

correct and its in Utica as there power.

Scotty, I remember this company's decals mentioning the green. Its just a silver body with green lettering and side sill.
http://primemoverdecals.com/pdf/pmd012.pdf

But I haven't found anything about the cream. Maybe do one in the silver and maroon to see how that looks. Although that first one you did is killer!
  by lvrr325

scottychaos wrote:click for full-size image:

Scot
If the railroad actually uses this scheme my only suggestion would be moving the lettering down to the upper cream band (and do it in the maroon color). I've seen 50s/60s when they get some age and use in them burn the paint right off the upper hood sides (that is where the dynamic brake grids are), and it's going to be cheaper on the budget to touch up just paint and not have to reletter them should that happen with these units.
  by Steve F45

King maybe show management this too and be like "its not to late to change your minds!!" haha
  by NYSW3022

You guys are going to be soooooooooo lost come January 1st, 2012. It's going to be hilarious to watch a bunch of lost puppies wondering around aimlessly.
  by sportsguy

What do you mean? I'm pretty sure this has been confirmed.
  by Steve F45

NYSW3022 wrote:You guys are going to be soooooooooo lost come January 1st, 2012. It's going to be hilarious to watch a bunch of lost puppies wondering around aimlessly.
why is that?
  by waldwickrailfan

NYSW3022 wrote:You guys are going to be soooooooooo lost come January 1st, 2012. It's going to be hilarious to watch a bunch of lost puppies wondering around aimlessly.
i diddnt know January was now in the spring. look back a page to kingfish's post. he clearly stated spring. but i would take whenever. as long as i see the Susie-Q :)
  by Jtgshu

lvrr325 wrote:
scottychaos wrote:click for full-size image:

Scot
If the railroad actually uses this scheme my only suggestion would be moving the lettering down to the upper cream band (and do it in the maroon color). I've seen 50s/60s when they get some age and use in them burn the paint right off the upper hood sides (that is where the dynamic brake grids are), and it's going to be cheaper on the budget to touch up just paint and not have to reletter them should that happen with these units.
That true, that the dynamic brakes do sometimes burn the paint off the long hood in the area of them, but thats on the units with the blisters above the prime mover doors - like the SD40s, 45s, etc. On an SD50 and SD60, the dynamic brake grid and fan are right behind the cab. The intake for the DB is the first rectangle in the cream band at the same level right behind the cab with the fan being right above the roof line.
  by ANDY117

If it is a heritage unit, why not point out that the railroad just turned 130 in 2011?
  by NYSW3022

waldwickrailfan wrote: i diddnt know January was now in the spring. look back a page to kingfish's post. he clearly stated spring. but i would take whenever. as long as i see the Susie-Q :)
It has nothing to do with the SD60's.. But I'm sure your benefactor will be eager to explain.
  by scottychaos

Variations on the theme:

click for full-size images.

6018, in Maroon & Grey

I originally put the "susquehanna" lettering up on the top simply because that was the location of the lettering on the original RS1 scheme.
but I agree it doesnt necessarily look best up there..
Also, I think I like Steve's suggestion of having the stripe not curve down on the rear, and instead wrap around..
perhaps it curved down on both ends on the RS1's because they were more "bidirectional"..
but SD60's will seldom, or never, operate long hood forward! ;) they have a definate front..

Im also just guessing on the road numbers! ;)
I dont think the exact road number sequence has been stated yet..I just chose a 60-series since they are SD60's..
but we dont know yet how they will be numbured..

Scot
  by Alek9997

Scotty, I personally like the one with SUSQUEHANNA in red against the cream background the best. Only make the letters a bit bolder.

Alek S.
  by kingfish

I doubt that NYSW 3022. My immediate relationship (CMO) will change with NYSW but not the strategic implications that I am involved with.

Once again someone in the railfan world has shown the ability to be ignorant and specious.

I am staying off the board for a while. Merry Christmas to all.
  by scottychaos

Alek9997 wrote:Scotty, I personally like the one with SUSQUEHANNA in red against the cream background the best. Only make the letters a bit bolder.

Alek S.
thanks! :)
I was attempting to space the letters so each letter can be fully on a door,
and not span a door gap..but looking at prototype photos:
http://www.krunk.org/~joeshaw/pics/shor ... -homer.jpg
I see NYSW (and nearly all railroads) dont really care about that..
lettering "spans the gap" all the time..so I wont factor that in my drawings anymore either! ;)
so here you go, bolder:

click for full size,

Scot