• NYCHRR (NYNJRail) and NY&A ever consider merger?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by hrfcarl

Did NY Cross Harbor RR (now NYNJ Rail) and New York & Atlantic ever consider merging? Seems to be a perfect fit, allowing one company rail freight service from NJ to Brooklyn, Queens and LI.
  by hrfcarl

Should I assume that no one knows, the answer is no, OR was this a really stupid question - already merged/share same parent company?
  by Sir Ray

hrfcarl wrote:Should I assume that no one knows, the answer is no, OR was this a really stupid question - already merged/share same parent company?
Well, it's not a stupid question as it has indeed been raised a number of times among railfans - I am pretty sure that NYNJ and Anacostia Rail (NY & A) are NOT linked corporately.
However, while it has been the subject of railfan chatter, I don't recall much talk in the business press or otherwise 'official' channels - not sure why. There's been somewhat of a lull about news of the NYNJ (erstwhile NYCH), compared to a few years back when they flipped a bargeload of hoppers, and their float bridge sunk, and NYC EDO wanted to sieze their float yard for yet another park and force them to rent 65th St, and Jersey City claimed they were burying toxic wastes in Greenville yard (which they weren't), or... well, maybe there's a reason NY & A didn't want to merge operations. However, for the past 2 years it's been quiet, and in this case, no News IS good News.
They're still in operation, as a month ago someone posted a series of good action pictures on Subchat.org.

by Nova55

No news? Guys just dont know where to look...They just got over 700k from a grant as well as 50k to replace the pontoon...from the state.

Completely new owners in there, really cleaned the place up. Yard is always full everytime I been there.

I have photos from last month when I was there on my site.
http://trainweb.org/AbandonedLIRR/bushphotos.htm

by Sir Ray

Nova55 wrote:No news? Guys just dont know where to look...They just got over 700k from a grant as well as 50k to replace the pontoon...from the state.
Completely new owners in there, really cleaned the place up. Yard is always full everytime I been there.
Well, that's a heck of a lot better than the news we used to hear 2-3 years ago.
And I knew NYNJ was doing well, as I said someone posted some nice shots over at SubChat in June in this thread - Unless South Brooklyn RR is your secret alias, Nova55? :P
Actually he posted another set on subchat later on, but he didn't get inside the enginehouse shots like you did Nova, and I must admit the Cat rail mover is interesting (perhaps well suited for that Plastics facility past 2nd at the end of the cool snakely branch, if that plant still exists).
Still, I am not sure why there has been no official chatter with regards to merger, but there you are...

by Nova55

Negative. Not me.

Im laughing over some of those replys...Glad I stay away from Subchat.

I do believe the plastic guy gets cars in the yard now ( If its the same one im thinking of [ Franklin Polymers ] ).

If nobody has seen, I have a page on the NYCH:
http://trainweb.org/AbandonedLIRR/NYCH.htm

And for the hell of it, NYNJ Rails new website for those who haven't seen:
http://www.nynjr.com/index.php

-Paul

by Sir Ray

Nova55 wrote:Im laughing over some of those replys...Glad I stay away from Subchat.
Ah, those replies in that thread weren't so bad - not even close for Subchat.
I do believe the plastic guy gets cars in the yard now ( If its the same one im thinking of [ Franklin Polymers ] ).
Probably is, the plastics facility was about 2 blocks east of the yard, and reached by a branch which went through a scrap yard. While it's good that they retained the customer, kinda sucks that they don't use the branch anymore.

by jtunnel

Glad to see NYNJ getting long needed funding. I was admiring their new fences and lights over at Greenville on Saturday.

As for a merger, IMO, both railroads have two different types of operations.
Both have crews that are qualified and trained to operate in two totaly specialized environments.
One operates in tight terminal spaces and along the waterfront, the other operates in a tightly regulated and tight scheduled major commuter based railroad.
Not really a neat fit, and part of the reason the Brooklyn Terminal railroads like NYNJ came into being.

by Nova55

I believe the unions are different to..

John,
Any photos from Saturday? :wink:

by jtunnel

No NYNJ photos, I respected those new gates and signs at Greenville

I did take pictures of other things in the area though:

http://jtunnel.rrpicturearchives.net/

John
  by hrfcarl

jtunnel wrote:Glad to see NYNJ getting long needed funding. I was admiring their new fences and lights over at Greenville on Saturday.

As for a merger, IMO, both railroads have two different types of operations.
Both have crews that are qualified and trained to operate in two totaly specialized environments.
One operates in tight terminal spaces and along the waterfront, the other operates in a tightly regulated and tight scheduled major commuter based railroad.
Not really a neat fit, and part of the reason the Brooklyn Terminal railroads like NYNJ came into being.
While different environments, they both try to provide similar service - rail freight on Long Island (Brooklyn & Queens are part of the same island). Customers would benefit by having one company to call to move freight from NJ to Long Island & vice-versa via a shorter route.

If operating environments make merger too difficult, did NYA's parent, Anacostia & Pacific, ever consider adding NYCH/NYNJ as another affiliate?