• NYC passenger station, Oriskany, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Hi, I've been looking for a picture of the New York Central passenger station at Oriskany, NY. Old maps have the station on the southwest side of River St., across from the still standing NYC freight house. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, cnyrailroadnut
  by NYC_Dave

I couldn't come up with a photo or postcard of the depot. But I've been searching for other things on Google Earth recently and I thought I would see what Oriskany looked like. I found what looked possibly like a freight house in the north quadrant formed by the RR and River St. - see photos. But I found an 1858 map of Oriskany which shows the depot in west quadrant and the freight house in the east quadrant. So it wouldn't seem that the existing building is the freight house. The complete 1858 map can be found at
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... opHalf.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Great map NYC Dave! That may be the first station at Oriskany. A 1907 map provided by historicmapworks has both the freight house, and passenger stations on the west side of River St., and directly across from each other. I explored the area behind the nice n easy on foot this spring directly across from the former NYC freight house, but no traces of the passenger station remain. A photo of the Oriskany station hangs at the Martin St. NYC station at Rome, NY. It is the only photo I've seen of the station. Couldn't find anything online either. Thanks for the map. It appears that both stations in the 1858 map likely bured or were demolished and replaced by the current freight house, and a second passenger station by1907.
  by lvrr325

I would take photos of that frieght station while I can. It does seem to be occupied, or was the last time I was past, but it's fairly rough. It's been flooded at least twice that I know of, too, most recently spring of like 2014 when ice backed up the river. Not deep, but a couple feet and wet right up to the ballast on the main line.
  by WShore4Ever

The photo at http://plowline.farmersmuseum.org/aerial-floods-0 taken by DanteTranquille in 1947 seems to show some kind of structure behind the trees in the SW quadrant of the River St. crossing of the NYC in Oriskany, NY. The NW quadrant has the still-extant freight house, the NE quadrant a coal (feed?) dealer and the SE quadrant has the beginning of an industrial spur. Not much other "high ground" left to site a building.

A drier view in 1953 can be seen at the mislabeled http://plowline.farmersmuseum.org/richf ... ?mode=list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Unfortunately, the trees are still in the way.

The images at the Farmer's Museum website are a lower resolution that in the past. Attached are snippets from the higher-res images previously available.

- WShore4Ever
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.