• NYC in "The Pawnbroker"

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by bill8106

Last night on TCM, I caught the Rod Steiger movie "The Pawnbroker", from 1965. The setting is Park Avenue in Harlem, and there are at least three shots of NYC MUs running at speed along the viaduct.

Between finding it hard to keep my eyes open (the movie started at 10:00 pm) and the briefness off the scenes, I couldn't tell exactly what series MUs they were, but they looked like the 4500s. The movie is also b&w, which made it a little fuzzy to make out details.

The scenes with the trains were used to dramatize a tense moment in the film...the build up of the rumble from the oncoming train, the swoosh as they roar by...exellent cinematography....and great snippets of the NYC.

And the movie (via Sidney Lumet) is very good too, about a concentration camp survivor dealing with his past horrors and his changing neighborhood. Steiger was nominated for an Oscar.

by va3ori

Not sure myself what class(es) of MUs are in the film, but they are a nice railroad touch!

Did you also notice the very brief view of the West Side Yard in a shot from an apartment balcony? I haven't seen the movie for some years but I do seem to recall at least one switcher movement in progress.

cheers,
Ori
VA3ORI - VA3XW