• NYC Bay Window Caboose Paint Schemes

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Donko142

Sorry to put something so silly up here, but I need some NYC help and don't know where to look. Does anyone know of any books regarding NYC bay window cabooses ? I'm looking for color pictures and specs on NYC bay windows from the mid 50's to the mid 60's before the Penn Central. Looking for pictures of black w gray & white lighting band and the jade green from the early 60's. We may paint one up on the Adironack Scenic and needs some photo's

Thank you for your time.
D.
  by lvrr325

As far as I know NYC cabooses were wood until about 1963 when the first steel ones were built. Those cabooses were just like the CNY Chapter's caboose at the NYS Fairgrounds, green with NYC cigar band logo and white numbers.
  by Donko142

Thanks I found a poor pic of the NYC 21040 a 1963 jade green product. Did the NYC have bay windows in the black with the gray and white lighting band ? anyone ? If so what year ? Idea's on pictures ?

Thanks
  by nydepot

LVRR325 is correct in that the bay-windows ones were the first steel cars. They came before '63 a bit. "Cabooses of the New Haven and New York Central Railroads: Caboose Data Book No 1A" by NJ International shows a photo of one from 1960 that has road grime. Only other steel ones were the trnasfer cabooses. Book contains plans and photos.

Charles
  by Donko142

THANK YOU !!!!! let me re-word question. There are a few who want to paint the caboose the black with the gray w white trim lighting band. (Like on the NYC RS-3 8223 at the ADIX). Sorry again,my NYC knowledge is not all that good. Did any NYC bay windows come with that paint job ? ( I saw a few loinel models, but caboose numbers didn't match up). All the pics I found on internet were of the jade green. I don't want to put a paint job on that never came on the NYC bay windows in service.

Thank you again
  by Otto Vondrak

Donko142 wrote:Does anyone know of any books regarding NYC bay window cabooses ?
Color Guide to New York Central Equipment, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2

http://morningsunbooks.com/nyccat2.html
Looking for pictures of black w gray & white lighting band
No such animal. Cabooses on the NYC were either red or "Century Green."
We may paint one up on the Adironack Scenic and needs some photos
That's cool, you guys have a bay window caboose up there? NYC did not have the traditional "full" bay window cabooses, they had the smaller bay window version.

The Canada Southern web site is a good resource.

Most of the steel cars when they arrived were painted deep red (hard to tell in this bw photo) with white marks:

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-20303.jpg

Here's a special "safety" scheme:

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-20391.jpg

Typical green scheme of later years:

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-21536.jpg

Hope this helps you get started.

-otto-
  by jurtz

I think Otto might be right. This link has archive pictures of several NYC cabooses, and all the bay window cabooses are jade green. The ones with owner class starting with N7 are the bay windows.

A few years back there was a cupola caboose in the red Pacemaker scheme on the Adirondack Secnic, but I think the owner sold it.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsList ... =NYC&cid=1
  by Donko142

Thanks to all, that's the info I needed.
  by nydepot

They were also painted PaceMaker gray and red.
  by Otto Vondrak

nydepot wrote:They were also painted PaceMaker gray and red.
True, a handful of rebuilt "woodies" got the two-tone gray and red.

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-20132.jpg

Original poster asked specifically about NYC bay window cabooses, though.

-otto-
  by BR&P

Let's not perpetuate inaccurate information.
I think Otto might be right. This link has archive pictures of several NYC cabooses, and all the bay window cabooses are jade green.
Maybe you should read it again. That's exactly the opposite of what he said:
Most of the steel cars when they arrived were painted deep red (hard to tell in this bw photo) with white marks:
First steel bay window cabs were red (brown) and arrived late 40's or early 50's, 20200-20400 series. I believe exact build dates are given in the "Cabooses of the New Haven and New York Central Railroads" book cited above. I am not 100% sure but think those were rebuilt and renumbered into the later green ones. My records show 21755 as the former 20265 and the 21784 as the former 20480 but I caution I can't cite exact reference and don't guarantee accuracy on that.

One brown (red) NYC bay window caboose remained in service out of Buffalo quite late - it was seen in the afternoon of April 11, 1966 eastbound on the West Shore by the stone quarries at Bowmansville, presumably a local to Akron or such.
  by Roger Hensley

In August 1962, 3 NYC/Big Four cabooses sit at South Anderson
Maurice Lewman said: "The photo in 1962 of the three cabs at Anderson. The steel cab is probably one of the two originals and notice there is not a bathroom vent on any of them. The bathrooms came after the pool caboose agreement."

by mel

Roger is correct. The cab on the left is a Michigan Central because of the large cupola. The bay window is one of two on this division and the number of one was 20430.The color was like the cab on the left in Roger's photo.You will notice there are two side windows. On later models the window on the left in the photo was removed.These two cabs also had coil springs on the trucks. The cab on the right was a Big 4 cab. The cupola was high and extendened 6 ins. beyond the body. and as Roger said none were equipped with a toilet and had coal burning stoves .Maurice
  by NYC1956

Wow! Lots of misinformation here.
First, leave Pacemaker out of the discussion. Bay window cabooses were never painted in the vermilion and gray Pacemaker scheme, nor were they ever painted in any lightning stripe scheme. Any such paint schemes would have been somebody's fantasy.
Refering to these as N7 cabooses is also wrong. That was a Pennsylvania Railroad classification that was adopted by Penn Central and applied after the New York Central ceased to exist.
The New York Central applied lot numbers to all their cars. The bay window cabooses were built in four lots beginning in 1948.
Lot 778 NYC 20200 to 20202 Built 1948
Lot 782 NYC 20203 to 20297 Built 1949
Lot 782 B&A 1300 to 1304 Built 1949 (These were renumbered to NYC 20498 to 20502 by 1954)
Lot 827 NYC 20297 to 20497 Built 1952
The original color scheme was freight car red (including the roof). The window frames should be an aluminium color and the bottom step of the end platforms as well as the grab irons should be yellow. The end ladders and the roof grab irons should be freight car red, although there were a few paint shop variations. In later years some roofs appeared black. This was probably car cement that was applied to seal roof leaks.
As originally built, the background color behind the NYC oval herald was the carbody color. After the mid 1950's version of the NYC's herald was used, the background color became black.
The bay window cabooses began to be repainted into the Century Green color in the early 1960s concurrent with the New York Central's wish to modernize its image. That was the only other color scheme used on New York Central bay window cabooses.
  by Donko142

NYC you seem to have the facts here. What I'm looking for is info on the bay windows numbered in the 21000 and 22000 (conrail) ? I THINK the 21000 were built for the NYC and the 22000 were from the Erie. Any more info on them ?