• NYA operates the Lower Montauk Branch now ???

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Teutobergerwald

This was mentioned by Jay in a post he made on the Richmond Hill Team Track topic. Anybody know the particulars of this ???? Thanks.
  by Ocala Mike

And there are posts in another thread suggesting that the LIRR is no longer using the Lower Montauk for its deadhead equipment moves (having already run its last revenue train over it).
  by DogBert

LIRR wasn't making that many moves along this line. I wonder if it has anything to do with the overall increase of freight along it.

Also, I noticed the produce warehouse in LIC, on the south side of the tracks behind Fresh Direct is being cleared out (part of it actually went on fire 2 weeks ago). According to propertyshark the land is still owned by the LIRR (used to be wheelspur yard). There's a shipping container marked 'NYAR' towards the drawbridge. Anyone know if this is going to become a freight facility? Maybe for whatever facility WM is suppose to build or as a transload to finally kick NYA out of Arch street?
  by Insideman

This yard will replace Johnson Ave yard (next to arch st). Lower Montauk Viaduct is falling down and this will enable its retirement. Look for marine transload along with all the customers from Johnson Ave relocated there.
  by jayrmli

The driving force behind this move is due to the future need to equip the line with Positive Train Stop. If they no longer operate passenger trains over the line, they will not have to equip it.

There has been some talk of future activity at the old Wheelspur Yard. I'm not at liberty to post details...and do not know any specifics. As far as I know, it is all still in the proposal stage.
  by Jeff Smith

Insideman wrote:This yard will replace Johnson Ave yard (next to arch st). Lower Montauk Viaduct is falling down and this will enable its retirement. Look for marine transload along with all the customers from Johnson Ave relocated there.
Welcome to the forum, and awesome head palm. That definitely fits around here sometimes.
  by Teutobergerwald

A few posts up it says the Montauk viaduct is falling apart and will be retired. If that is so, why have new signals been installed ? You can see one on the northside of the LIE viaduct and you can see other ones when exiting the tunnels from Manhattan going eastbound. Its been said on here and the LIRR forum that both legs of the viaduct (the Cutoff) are to be rehabilitated as part of ESA.
  by mikey cruz

Call me nuts but I don't see a "Johnson Ave" and any yard next to Arch street shops, only thing I know of is the 2 customers over there and the tracks they use.
  by DogBert

There is a johnson ave next to the former bushwick yard, but that's definitely not moving.
  by Sir Ray

mikey cruz wrote:Call me nuts but I don't see a "Johnson Ave" and any yard next to Arch street shops, only thing I know of is the 2 customers over there and the tracks they use.
Maybe he meant Jackson Avenue?
  by mikey cruz

Thought about that but there's not really any yard there unless he just means the few tracks there, I was thinking am I'm missing some here? LOL. I can't understand how they will do movements if the cut off is retired, back into the LIRR yard and reverse? or run up to the Hell Gate and reverse?
  by Insideman

Steel trestle is a different story then the concrete one over the Penn station leads. The cutoff has lived its purpose; Yard A is gone and Sunnyside has no use for a connection. That's why it only sees the RS40 three times a week and nothing more; LIRR doesn't even use it. Last time they used it was back in August was run TC82 over it in preparation for the hand off.
@ Sir Ray: Jackson, Johnson, Same Crap.
@ Jeff "Rules" Smith: Good to be on board...
  by mikey cruz

@ Insideman: So are they thinking about widening the area where the old "wheel spur" yard used to be?
  by Teutobergerwald

Why the new signals then ???