• NY&A had a 3 car derailment today @ 1:30pm

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by trackit

NY&A had a 3 car derailment today @ 1:30pm near Hicksville. They were 3 cars filled with contaminated soil. One track is out of service while they work on re-railing the cars. LIRR trains will only be about 15 min behind schedule. No one was hurt in this accident.
  by Amtrak7

I already posted about this in the LIRR forum.
  by trackit

And...
NY&A and the LIRR are investigating what happen to the three cars. No material was spilled out of the cars. The first report was that the cars dumped their contents onto the track but a spokesperson for the railroad stated nothing has been spilled.
  by geico

trackit wrote:And...
NY&A and the LIRR are investigating what happen to the three cars. No material was spilled out of the cars. The first report was that the cars dumped their contents onto the track but a spokesperson for the railroad stated nothing has been spilled.
Bad track = LIRR fault

Bad cars/engines = NYAR fault

Bad track because of bad cars/engines = Litigation time.
  by nyar271

geico wrote:
trackit wrote:And...
Bad track = LIRR fault

Bad cars/engines = NYAR fault

Bad track because of bad cars/engines = Litigation time.
Very Nice! I liked that one haha
  by SwingMan

I was at the seen around 5ish, and by that point two LIRR MP15s (154-161) were there. I got word from a RR worker that the rail split, but it wasn't on RR trackage, it was coming off the Hooked Chemical siding when it derailed. I was surprised that no other railfans were at the seen of the incident, there were some great photo ops!

lirr415-Peter
  by RPM2Night

This probably has to do with the derailment. A few nights ago I saw some interesting (or odd) goings on along the mainline between Hicksville and Bethpage. The Lilco/Lipa spur now has a high gondola spotted on it, looks to be the type of gon that goes to the Farmingdale recycling customer. Also, spotted on the Ruco Polymer spur are two covered hoppers right at the derail. Also, just noticed this today, there are wooden ties wedged into the rail on the west end of the hoppers, kinda like when they take a track out of service to physically block the track.

Other interesting happenings saw a few days ago, the World Recycling spur off the Central Branch has more than the high gons spotted there. There was a center beam lumber car, and a handful of open top hoppers you usually see going out to Prima.
  by SwingMan

RPM2Night wrote:This probably has to do with the derailment. A few nights ago I saw some interesting (or odd) goings on along the mainline between Hicksville and Bethpage. The Lilco/Lipa spur now has a high gondola spotted on it, looks to be the type of gon that goes to the Farmingdale recycling customer. Also, spotted on the Ruco Polymer spur are two covered hoppers right at the derail. Also, just noticed this today, there are wooden ties wedged into the rail on the west end of the hoppers, kinda like when they take a track out of service to physically block the track.

Other interesting happenings saw a few days ago, the World Recycling spur off the Central Branch has more than the high gons spotted there. There was a center beam lumber car, and a handful of open top hoppers you usually see going out to Prima.
Yes, those cars were the last removed from the seen. The hoppers do come from Farmingdale, and the covered hoppers are the cars that derailed.

lirr415-Peter
  by Steamboat Willie

The customer in Lindenhurst serves more than just waste removal. There are 3 customers who share the switch.
  by RPM2Night

I wasn't sure. Up to that point, I'd only seen the gons removing the recycling materials. Nice seeing several businesses share a spur for freight use.