• NS Purchases A-B-B-A F Units

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.

by ANDY117

The NYSW 2400 and 2402 are going to Larry's Truck and Electric. From there, no one knows.

by Engineer James

No way. Man, Those were nice units. Why did Larry's want them?

by PRRGuy

Seems like he's putting a nice little collection of E's together nowadays.. He was the one that picked up those ex Metra ones too right?

by NorfolkSouthernSean

PRRGuy wrote:Seems like he's putting a nice little collection of E's together nowadays.. He was the one that picked up those ex Metra ones too right?
That would be correct. LTEX rosters 3 former Metra/BN/CB&Q E9's, 9912, 9918, & 9925. 9925 is painted light blue, while the other 2 are still BN Green.
http://www.thedieselshop.us/LTE.HTML

by Off Pending

U-Haul wrote:I read none of the units have dynamic brakes.
http://www.nsdash9.com/rosters/4270.html
http://www.nsdash9.com/rosters/4275.html
Dynamic brakes are easy to add ... not that they're really needed, because the executive train is power braked whenever occupied.

A lot of speculation has gone on about why the NS chose F's over E's. I can tell you why ... parts availability. Once released from Altoona, the F's will end up being the equivalent of a 5600-series GP38-2 internally, and NS won't have to deal with the rather specialized (and getting more scare) parts associated with an E unit's A-1-A trucks. Just about any shop on the system should be able to do running repairs to the F's, if the need arises.

by General

Give them some time with some of these engineers and these engines will be torn up like the rest of the NS fleet.

by SooLineRob

Off Pending wrote:
Dynamic brakes are easy to add ... not that they're really needed, because the executive train is power braked whenever occupied.
Hogheads should run the top brass trains in the same manner as the Air Brake book requires freight trains to be run... :wink:

by Engineer James

Larry's..... why woulkd they want all those diesels??? Its almost a little fishy....

by AdamCKach

While I wait for railpictures to reject this for one reason or another, I will share it for its relevance to this discussion. :-D As I was taking the shot, the roll-up door started to close. I could not get to a straight-on angle fast enough and zoom to catch if the rest were inside. I wonder if they don't want folks seeing them yet? :wink:

Looks like the covered wagon lost its cover!

by Engineer James

Looks like they ain't done getting painted yet. Keep looking for em!

by AdamCKach

No idea. :) I read twice, and I believe it might have been here and railfan.net, that the A and B units were being rebuilt with 38-2 components to facilitate easy repairs anywhere on the NS system.

by pennsy

Hi All,

They may be following the lead of Union Pacific with their A-B-A consist of E-9's. They were totally gutted internally, and rebuilt as GP-38's inside That way they have the reliability and ease of operation of a Geep. For the E-9's, you have a total horsepower rating of 2000 hp per unit, or 6000 for the lashup. So, that F-9b will be rated at 2000 hp.

by Off Pending

pennsy wrote:Hi All,

They may be following the lead of Union Pacific with their A-B-A consist of E-9's. They were totally gutted internally, and rebuilt as GP-38's inside That way they have the reliability and ease of operation of a Geep. For the E-9's, you have a total horsepower rating of 2000 hp per unit, or 6000 for the lashup. So, that F-9b will be rated at 2000 hp.
IIRC, BN's executive F units were given the same treatment, and were basically GP38-2's running around in a cab unit carbody.

If my locomotive mechanical knowledge isn't failing me, I believe some 567 blocks (567C sounds familiar), are capable of taking power assemblies for a 645.

So ... if the 567 block is correct, it may not be going anywhere ... just getting new 645 power assemblies.

by pennsy

Hi OFF,

Depends how how much of a budget they have to spend. In Union Pacific's case, they gutted all three units. You could look down the engine, front door to back door and there would be nothing to block your view. Totally gutted. All the new insides are GP-38, including the control stand etc.